Problems with sleep

Old October 17th 08, 03:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jkk

Default Problems with sleep

My friend has an HP Pavillion Slimline and HP Monitor with Vista Home
Premium, less than 1 year old. The machine boots but the monitor won't come
on. A box flashes saying no connection. All plugs have been checked. The
monitor is actually on, but with a yellow rather than a blue light showing.
Any ideas?

"Wandering" wrote:

If the machine is giving up during boot up, it is most likely a driver
problem. It is time to do a system restore with that disk you made when you
first got it or was supplied with it. As the previous poster advised, it is
probably a video driver that was installed as an update. If you can get the
machine to boot, do a system restore to a restore point before that update.
If it won't start windows, you'll probably have to do a Windows restore for
the disks above. Good luck.

"Stanor" wrote in message
What happens when I boot up the computer again it automatically goes into
sleep mode while it is booting up. I just then have a blank screen. My
computer is a Dell ACPI x86-based PC with the Vista Home Premium with an
Inspiron 530 hard drive. As far as I know I have all the updates from
Windows
Update - this is a brand new computer, about 3 months old

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

what do you mean "booting up the computer again doesn't always solve
the problem"? what exactly happens? what do you see? what errors are
in the event log? what kind of computer? what video card and do you
have the latest drivers for it? do you have all the updates from
Windows Update?

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 12:13:03 -0800, Stanor
wrote:

Stanor - I have a worse problem with the sleep mode. The computer puts
itself
into sleep mode if I don't touch it for about 30 seconds, and then it is
almost impossible to get it to come out of sleep mode whatever I do.
Even
booting up the computer again doesn't always solve the problem. Any
suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

also, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649 which seems to be
fixing lots of misc. problems.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:01:01 -0700, jhackp3b8
wrote:

My problem is that when my computer goes into sleep mode, once it is
wakened,
I have to restart the computer in order to reconnect to the internet.
If I
don't the network says "identifying NETGEAR (my home network)" and
under
Access: it says Local only instead of Local and Internet. I tried
doing the
power options thing, but my computer was already set to the option
suggested.
I also tried the command prompt thing, but I have no idea what it
means or
what I should do about it. It is incredibly inconvenient to restart
the whole
system in order to regain internet connectivity with my network. The
only
thing I can think of is resetting the sleep options so that either
it
doesn't sleep or to set the timer to a much higher time. That's ok if
it's
plugged in, but if I'm using the battery that option will eventually
kill the
battery life. Please help...

"BuzzLightyear" wrote:

To make Windows go to sleep mode correctly I have to disable the
option to
wake up the system with the keyboard, otherwise it goes to sleep
mode but
suddenly restarts. Also, after restoring from sleep mode, network
connectivity doesn't work and using Network diagnosis I have to
restore LAN
settings
--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Old October 17th 08, 03:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

There is a recall of HP Slim line computers because of this. Go to their web
site and see if your model number is listed as being effected.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP