Motherboard constantly beeps while running Vista Beta 2/RC-1

Old September 9th 06, 06:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ChrisN

Default Motherboard constantly beeps while running Vista Beta 2/RC-1

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but here goes...I
have been running Vista Beta 2 with no problems until recently I upgraded my
motherboard (From a Gigabyte GA-K8U S754 to an Asus K8N nForce 3 250 S754) so
everytime I run Vista Beta 2 the motherboard constantly "beeps" (a constant
"beep beep beep etc"), the beeping starts at the boot loading screen and
stops when I shutdown Vista, however, after downloading the latest updates
for Beta 2 the problem stoped. BUT I have recently upgraded to Vista RC-1 and
the beeping has returned!!

I would like to note my machine is currenty dual-booted with Vista RC-1 and
XP Home Edition SP2 (and the problem is not present in XP) I've tried looking
up what the beeping means in the m/b manual and the Asus homepage with little
luck, I have also tried updating the m/b chipset drivers in Vista, but Asus
supply no Vista support at all and Nvidia only have Vista drivers for the
Network Controller and onboard Audio for the nForce 3 chipset, I haven't
tried updating the BIOS yet (but I don't really want to if I can help it as I
don't like messing with my BIOS as it is working fine, minus this problem) I
was woundering if other people have this problem? or know of what I can try
todo next? or even a possible solution? thanks in advance for any helpful
information.
Old September 9th 06, 11:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter

Something in your setup isn't coping with either the load or the temperature
generated by it.
See this chart:
http://acronymsonline.com/lists/beep_chart.asp

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

news

Old September 9th 06, 12:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ChrisN

Thx for that, with the aid of that link you gave me I've managed to narrow
the problem down to either the videocard or memory (which is what the beeping
is telling me) I'll do some investigating, but while I do that why would this
problem only surface in Vista and not XP?

"Peter" wrote:

Something in your setup isn't coping with either the load or the temperature
generated by it.
See this chart:
http://acronymsonline.com/lists/beep_chart.asp

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Beta
P4 D865GBFL HT @ 3.0ghz 2.0gb DDR 450gb HD
ATI Radeon 9550 Graphics
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Audio

news

Old September 9th 06, 12:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ChrisN

Thx for that, with the aid of the link you gave me I've managed to find out
the beeping means there is something wrong with either my video card and/or
memory, I will now investigate the problem.

Why would this problem occur in Vista and not in XP? seems odd to me that a
hardware problem only happens in one and not both my my OS's (as I would
expect it tobe present in both, been faulty hardware and all)

"Peter" wrote:

Something in your setup isn't coping with either the load or the temperature
generated by it.
See this chart:
http://acronymsonline.com/lists/beep_chart.asp

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Beta
P4 D865GBFL HT @ 3.0ghz 2.0gb DDR 450gb HD
ATI Radeon 9550 Graphics
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Audio

news

Old September 9th 06, 01:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter

Vista is quite intensive in its use of resources and I can only assume
something inside your machine can't cope. Could be simply loose connection
although I think that would have surfaced in XP.
Could be faulty memory...check it out...do a Google for memtest or similar.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

"Peter" wrote:

Something in your setup isn't coping with either the load or the
temperature
generated by it.
See this chart:
http://acronymsonline.com/lists/beep_chart.asp

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Beta
P4 D865GBFL HT @ 3.0ghz 2.0gb DDR 450gb HD
ATI Radeon 9550 Graphics
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Audio

news

Old September 9th 06, 02:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Barnett MVP

Vista has it's own memory testing software. Go to control
paneladministrative tools. In that admin tools window look for Memory
Diagnostics Tool in the list of items. Click on it and then click the
restart pc option. The diagnostic tool will then check the memory. For more
infor see my website: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Vista Faq
tab and then click on 'checking system memory with the windows diagnostics
tool.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

The information in this mail is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this mail. The Author shall not be liable for any
direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this mail..

"Peter" wrote:

Something in your setup isn't coping with either the load or the
temperature
generated by it.
See this chart:
http://acronymsonline.com/lists/beep_chart.asp

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Beta
P4 D865GBFL HT @ 3.0ghz 2.0gb DDR 450gb HD
ATI Radeon 9550 Graphics
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Audio

news Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but here

Old September 9th 06, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Urbach

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 05:24:01 -0700, ChrisN
wrote:

Thx for that, with the aid of the link you gave me I've managed to find out
the beeping means there is something wrong with either my video card and/or
memory, I will now investigate the problem.

Why would this problem occur in Vista and not in XP? seems odd to me that a
hardware problem only happens in one and not both my my OS's (as I would
expect it tobe present in both, been faulty hardware and all)

"Peter" wrote:

Vista stresses your video more, doing all that Aero and 3D stuff.
Heavy duty gamming under XP should have also brought this to light.

The cooling may have problems (A loose heat sink , bad fan or lint) on
either the case or the GPU (card).
Steve U