Maxtor Enternal HD & RC1

Old September 9th 06, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom C

Default Maxtor Enternal HD & RC1

I have a Maxtor HD connected by firewire. I can access all the files on the
HD fine. However when i try to remove it using the Safely Remove Hardware box
it tells me it is in use and can't be stopped.
I though there might be some indexing going on so i left my PC on overnight,
but i still could not remove it the next day.
Any ideas?
Thanks Tom
Old September 10th 06, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sascha Benjamin Jazbec

No Bug.

"this is by design" another user with similar problem was told from MS tech
guys.

I have read it somewhere in these newsgroups.

SBJ

Old September 11th 06, 08:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gary G. Little

If a handle to the drive is open, you will not be able to remove it. Is the
external drive a target for a shadowed operation such as Ghost or some other
back up, or is it included in your AV scans?

Hmmm ... and Symantec would complain about someone elses kernel/driver code?
I am truly amused.

--
The personal opinion of
Gary G. Little

"Phillip Pi" wrote in message
Ditto with my Maxtor external HDD.

On 9/9/2006 7:20 PM PT, Mark D. VandenBerg wrote:

I have the same experience with a USB external drive.

"Tom C" Tom wrote in message

I have a Maxtor HD connected by firewire. I can access all the files on
the
HD fine. However when i try to remove it using the Safely Remove Hardware
box
it tells me it is in use and can't be stopped.
I though there might be some indexing going on so i left my PC on
overnight,
but i still could not remove it the next day.
Any ideas?
Thanks Tom

--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com
Email: YMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer. Thank you.

Old September 12th 06, 04:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Norman Diamond

Although I did some experimenting with Vista, I didn't experiment with
shadowed operations or antivirus software (Vista diligently tells me I have
no antivirus software) or anything else. The open handle was held by the
"System" process, pid 4, according to the warnings in the event log.

In this bug report as in some others, Microsoft wrote a response before
closing the bug report. Microsoft said this behaviour is by design.

I haven't decided yet whether to do any more experiments with Vista after
that, but I sure won't be buying Vista. I think I never owned a computer in
which I could avoid sometimes connecting external drives to back up some
files or copy some files back from backups. In NT4 it was necessary to
close all applications and close down Windows before either connecting or
disconnecting a SCSI adapter and external drive. In Vista it's only
necessary to shut down before disconnecting. With enough service packs
Windows 2000 and XP and 2003 have become almost as reliable as NT4 was, and
97% of the time they handle external drives in a more friendly manner, so
I'm going to stick with them.

.. .