vista don't recongize 4 gigs of system memory

Old September 9th 06, 10:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Simon D

Default vista don't recongize 4 gigs of system memory

Hi

I am have the same problem missing 1 Gb of memory

When I was running vista beta 2 32bit O/S, I could see all 4GB of memory,
upgrade to RC1 Build 5600 I am now only seeing 3GB of memory.

If I switch to vista RC1 64bit, I can see 4GB RAM on my system.

No problem with my Bios, all set as suggested the problems is in this new
build of vista RC1

I still trying to find how can I address/access this missing 1GB when using
32bit O/S?

Thanks

Simon

--
DFI LanParty UT CFX3200-DR RD580
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

"Mick" wrote:

Hello,
I was just about to post a question on the forum is see if 32-bit vista had
overcome this missing memory problem when I spotted this post.
I have 4G memory and running xp pro , only 3G was available. Using xp pro
64-bit I could see the full 4G of memory. It turns out that XP and ( VISTA
32-bit as well?) both use address's out of the 4G memory range to address
hardware devices. Each hardware device you have means less addressable RAM.
So I guess the answer is yes, VISTA has the same problem.... looks like I am
going to stay with 64-bit then.

"John Boy" wrote:

Tom Scales wrote:
"John Boy" wrote in message
geo85706 wrote:
Vista does not see the extra gig of memory, i have 4 1 gig ddr400 memory
installed and the motherboard sees it but vista don't.
You have to correct that in your BIOS. How to do it will be in your
owner's manual. Vista sees all the RAM the BIOS lets it see.

He said his BIOS DOES see it

On my Asus board in the BIOS there is "DRAM Over
4G Remapping" that must be enabled for the OS to
see most of the 4G. Even with it enable I still
lose a little bit and don't see the full 4G.
There is a memory "hole" by design. Enabling
the 4G Remapping moves it around the "hole" so
the OS can see it.