Old June 6th 08, 08:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dennis

Default ram ..please help

SCSIraidGURU wrote:

I only have seen a few CAD applications successfully access PAE. Most
applications on the market can't use PAE properly. So for most users it
is a moot issue. You are still limited to physical RAM of 4GB with most
applications limited to 2GB per application. Applications like Photoshop
CS2 are paritally 64-bit and can access 6GB of RAM and a larger paging
file. It is very few applications that can use PAE. Personally, I rather
have 64-bit applications and more physical RAM instead being used in
Vista over using paging files that are 1000x slower access. As 64-bit
applications become available, it would be better to add RAM over paging
space.

Applications don't address physical memory, they only access their
virtual address space. So it doesn't matter where in physical ram an
application's virtual address space points to. It can be below or above
4G, it doesn't matter.

And how can an application be partially 64bit? Last time I checked on
adobe.com, photoshop is only 32bit.