Old June 6th 08, 09:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SCSIraidGURU

Default ram ..please help

CS2 could use 6GB of RAM CS3 wimped out and was completely 32-bit. CS4
is going to 64-bit. You can setup CS2 to use 4-6GB for scratch space
instead of hard drive.

Since most users run Windows and not Linux, you have the 4GB limit on
32-bit OS. I have not seen how well Vista 32-bit handles virtual RAM.
I use x64 Ultimate.
These are Microsoft forums. I doubt Linux users hang out on them. You
are correct about Unix and Linux using virtual RAM better. Since this
is a Microsoft forum, does it really matter.

My XP Pro box had 3.25GB physical RAM and 4095MB paging file. I would
get out of memory errors long before filling all 7.24 GB. I switched to
XP x64 to get 8GB of RAM and 12GB paging file to work better with my
apps. CS2 could access 6GB of RAM.

Would you rather run everything from your hard drive paging file or out
of physical RAM? With Vista x64 Ultimate SP1, it uses my RAM more
efficiently than XP x64 SP2. On Vista x64 Ultimate, I run 16GB physical
and 16GB paging. It wanted 40GB + 16GB for the C: partition. If 4GB
modules drop in price, I might check on a board that could do 32GB of
RAM.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)

Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
16GB DDR667
SAS RAID
eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card