Old June 6th 08, 10:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Charlie Tame

Default ram ..please help

dennis wrote:
SCSIraidGURU wrote:
You can only access a theoretical maximum of 4GB in 32-bit OS. Most
computers are lucky to address 3.25 GB with newer video cards installed.
64-bit Ultimate can address 128GB of RAM and huge paging file. /pae
switch does not allow you to break the 4GB 32-bit rule. I used it to
help NUMA memory management on my AMD server boards.
2^ 32 =4294967296
=4GB

I suspect that you don't know fully how memory access works in a x86 cpu
running in paging mode. The only thing that cannot change is the size of
the virtual address space, which is always 4GB. The physical one can be
much larger.

Btw, 32bit xp/vista supports up to 16TB per paging file when the PAE
kernel is loaded.

Yes but that is paging, and there will be a performance hit because you
can't suddenly yank the rug (OS) from under the CPU.