Old June 7th 08, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Charlie Tame

Default Memory mapping is the key.

Yes Dennis was correct but so is the 4GB limit if some other technology
is not used. My point was that if "Something else" is not used then the
original statement that there is a 4GB limit was correct.

Curious wrote:
As Colin pointed out in one of his posts yes you can support more the
4GB of physical memory with a 32bit OS if you provide different
threads/users each with their own individual logical memory map which is
limited to no more the 4GB. 32 bit Server Operating systems have used
this technique for years to support large large numbers of users on
large memory systems. Also by providing separate logical memory maps
for different users servers are able to insure that the programs or
data being used by one user can not be corrupted by another server user.
Dennis is correct when he states that with a 32 bit OS that supports
memory mapping one can develop an application that use more then 4GB of
physical memory by spreading the functionality across multiple processes
each of which is limited to its own 4GB of logical address space.

"dennis" wrote in message
Charlie Tame wrote:

But I could NOT use BASIC routines and the underlying RAM at the same
time.

Try and count the number of address pins on a 32-bit CPU that supports
36bit PAE, and tell me if anything needs to overlap

Yes he