Old June 7th 08, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ancre15

Default All in one printer

Well guys thank you for your answers - though I have to say some were more
concerned with telling me what I hadnt done than giving helpfull advice. That
said thanks to Steve for the recommendation - I will look at the Canon MP780

"searched without sucess" - is true in as much as I couldnt reach a
conclusion - it is possible for us non-teckies to be swamped with information

"Dell drivers" One of our committee members spent a long time on line and on
the phone to dell - the drivers they sugested didnt work.

My post was was perhaps badly worded - we want a true vista-compatible all
in one which will work "out of the box" without hunting on the web for
drivers. Our volunteer secretary who uses it lives in the next town the less
involvement I have the better - I shall just buy it and hopefully someone
else will set it up.
many thanks Alan

"Steve Thackery" wrote:

I have searched the web without much sucess....

Well, I don't think you searched very thoroughly! Vista-compatible
all-in-ones are very common.

However, having used most makes of printers/scanners, I will make a
recommendation for you: Canon.

In my experience their drivers and utilities are the closest you'll get to
"just works". Also, almost all their all-in-ones support duplex printing as
standard, which is quite handy.

In terms of print speed and quality, scanning speed and quality, running
costs, etc, most makes are pretty competitive. Canon aren't noticeably
better or worse than HP, Lexmark, Epson, etc.

But I will say that I'm currently running a Canon Pixma MP780 and think it
is totally brilliant.

SteveT