wireless printing

Old August 9th 07, 12:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
wally h

Default wireless printing

i just bought a new laptop with windows vista basic......i cannot get it to
connect with my printer ......i have windows xp running on the main computer
with a wireless network......this has got me baffeled
Old August 9th 07, 12:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Malke

wally h wrote:
i just bought a new laptop with windows vista basic......i cannot get it to
connect with my printer ......i have windows xp running on the main computer
with a wireless network......this has got me baffeled

So the printer is a true network printer - not connected to any computer
- but is connected to the Local Area Network (LAN) via wireless? If this
is correct, download the Vista printer drivers from the printer mftr.
Now install those drivers on the laptop. Depending on the printer
drivers installation routine, the printer should be seen on the network
and you will then be able to print to it.

If this does not describe your situation, please post back with more
details. It would be helpful if you included the make and model of the
printer.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old August 9th 07, 03:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
New Orleans Novice[_2_]

Use a wireless router with USB printer connection similar to a US Robotics
USB wireless router

Old August 9th 07, 10:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Malke

New Orleans Novice wrote:
Use a wireless router with USB printer connection similar to a US Robotics
USB wireless router

Since the OP said, "i have windows xp running on the main computer with
a wireless network...", we can assume that he already has a wireless
router. A print server/router is unnecessary with a wireless network
printer. Until the OP comes back with more details, we can't give more
focused help but adding a print server won't be part of that.

Malke
Old August 11th 07, 02:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
wally h[_2_]

the printer is connected to the main computer that is running xp.......i
cannot get the other computer to find and recognize the printer( the new one
has vista basic)
HELP!!!

Old August 11th 07, 02:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Malke

wally h wrote:
the printer is connected to the main computer that is running xp.......i
cannot get the other computer to find and recognize the printer( the new one
has vista basic)

OK, then this is not a network printer, wireless or ethernet. It is
locally connected to your XP machine. You need to set up file/printer
sharing between the XP and Vista computers. Since you haven't indicated
that you've already done that, here are instructions below. Once you get
file/printer sharing set up between the two computers, share out the
printer from the XP machine and install the printer's Vista drivers on
Vista and it should see the printer during the installation routine.

Since you still haven't provided any useful information about your
printer or whether you actually have file/printer sharing set up, that's
all I can say.

Standard networking instructions:

*****
This link will take you through Vista networking very well:

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two
firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party
firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on
all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating
system does not permit it.

Here are some general networking tips for home/small networks:

1. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
(LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
"gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
"Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Do not run more than one firewall.

2. With earlier Microsoft operating systems, the name of the Workgroup
didn't matter. Apparently it does with Vista, so put all computers in
the same Workgroup. This is done from the System applet in Control
Panel, Computer Name tab.

3. Create identical user accounts and passwords on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

4. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

Simple File Sharing (Folder OptionsView tab) and create identical user
accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters
in your situation.

I think it is a good idea to create the identical user
accounts/passwords in any case when Vista machines are involved and it
isn't an onerous task with home/small networks.

5. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
Shared Documents folder. See the first link above for details about
Vista sharing.
*****

Malke

Old November 1st 07, 10:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Dan [MSFT]

Malke,

Paul's assertion is incorrect, wireless printing can work with any version
of Vista (not sure about Starter). Mostly likely you are running into
printer sharing problems which are addressed & answered in many other places
in this list.

Dan

Old November 1st 07, 10:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Paul Armstrong[_2_]

Yes, I agree my assertion is incorrect...I should have said that printer
sharing is not available with Vista Starter. I have a notebook with Vista
Basic and a desktop with XP Home which is hardwired to the printer. I can
print from either PC with the USB cable attached but cannot print from the
notebook unless the USB cable is attached. If Dan can explain how I can
print from the laptop wireless while sharing the printer, it would be much
appreciated.

Old November 2nd 07, 12:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Paul Armstrong[_2_]

Once again, I am mistaken...the key is changing the Vista network to match
the XP network....follow the instructions in the link providede
earlier.thanks to all.