USB to 9-pin serial port

Old August 9th 07, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
harold timmis

Default USB to 9-pin serial port

I was Just wondering when Microsoft was going to make a driver for USB to
9-pin male serial port it is the one made by RadioShack

Thank You
Old August 9th 07, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

Microsoft does not make drivers, the hardware manufacturer does.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old August 10th 07, 12:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Natéag

I have a translucent blue one. I do not know if Igot it from RadioShack.
When I connected to my computer (running Vista), I was directed to
the maker's web page where I found the Vista compatible drivers.
The drivers that came with the device were meant for XP and would
not install under Vista.

I doubt that RadioShack makes them. It only sells them under its brand
name.

Old August 10th 07, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP

There are no drivers for the cable.. the drivers will be with whatever
device is attached to the 9 pin end of the cable..

"harold timmis" harold wrote in message
I was Just wondering when Microsoft was going to make a driver for USB to
9-pin male serial port it is the one made by RadioShack

Thank You

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Old August 10th 07, 09:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

I didn't say "Radio Shack", I said "the hardware manufacturer" makes the
drivers. You visited their Web site and they have no Vista drivers, so
unfortunately you pretty much have your answer. The manufacturer apparently
does not plan to support this hardware in Vista. Unless they release Vista
drivers for their product, no one else will.

Old August 10th 07, 09:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

Mike, they do need drivers. I have one for my legacy hardware and it did
load drivers for the serial to USB adapter both under XP and Vista.

Old August 10th 07, 10:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP

Richard

I will make a note of that.. ty

Old August 10th 07, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Anil Ghatikar

I have used severall USB to serial adapter over the years due to nature of
my job. I found all of them ( independent of the make ) always installed
Polific usb driver
The driver is here http://www.cooldrives.com/wividrforprc.html

Although prolific tehemselves do not host the vista driver

Look at the discaliamer

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Anil

Old August 10th 07, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave

Looks like this outfit has some adaptors with Vista drivers...
http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-232MM.html

haven't tried them....

Old August 14th 07, 08:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
brianzebra

Default Radio Shack driver-serial to usb cable

I just bought Radio Shack's "6-ft USB to Serial Cable", model #26-183, to use on my new HP m8120n with Vista. I tried for a long time to load the driver, and just about gave up, but persistence finally paid off. When I installed the driver first off of the CD, it seemed to do it, but when I connected the Radio Shack cable to my USB port as the 2nd step, Vista wouldn't find the driver, even when I pointed it to the installation disk. I tried over and over again, and I figured it just wouldn't work with Vista and I would have to return it. I also had tried the XP/SP2 compatibility mode, running as administrator, with no luck. I finally got it to run by messing around with the COM port numbers involved. On my device being hooked up, the COM port setting was COM3, and it wouldn't allow me to change the number. In Device Manager, I found that the built-in phone modem was using COM3. I changed the modem to a different number - COM6, and then changed the R.S. adapter (which was listed all the time in Device Manager, but just not working properly) to use COM3 (instead of some other number that was assigned to it). Now that the R.S. adapter in Device Manager had its COM port number matching the COM port number in the software program being used to control the new device being hooked up by the serial to USB adapter, it worked.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com