Vista Banter

-   -   Vista RC and SATA Raid 0 (http://www.vistabanter.com/6512-vista-rc-sata-raid-0-a.html)

Peter September 11th 06 06:43 PM

Vista RC and SATA Raid 0

Please bear with me on this...

I have two WD Raptor SATA drives configured as RAID 0 on the built-in
Promise interface on an Acer motherboard. Installing Vista went went fine,
and its been running since RC1 was released. I also have a DVD+-RW
configured as the primary device on the IDE0 channel.

When I try to burn an audio CD from within Windows Media Player (default
Vista v11) the system locks up and hangs before the second track finishes. I
do a hard reset, and when the SATA controller initializes, it reports that my
array is damaged and offline. If I go into the SATA utility, one of the
discs is reported as off-line, possibly damaged. If I delete the array and
recreate it, it comes back online and Vista will boot normally.

This behavior occurs EVERY time I try to burn a disc from within media
player, I've tried this several times with the exact same results each time.

I'm at a total loss as the what the relationship between Media Player, my CD
burner, and the SATA array is that could cause this behavior to occur.
Burning a disc on an IDE channel should not disrupt a SATA array.

The only thing I'm guessing is maybe I need updated Promise SATA drivers,
but so far I have not seen anything for Vista.

Any thoughts?