SD Card has to be formated before using in VISTA?

Old September 11th 06, 05:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hank Keleher

Default SD Card has to be formated before using in VISTA?

I have a Treo 650 and I will copy files to it using a memory stick reader
(it's a lot faster than using sync.) When I insert the card I get the same
message but I choose the option that won't format and I can access the card
just fine. I don't always get that message either, something I get a
message that there's a problem and if I want to scan the card and fix it.
But I don't know what this will do to the card (I don't want to make it
unreadable to my phone.)

I won't format my card for the same reason but I would imagine that it would
be fat format to make it as compatible as possible with as many phones, OS's
and cameras that would read it. NTFS would lock it down to a select few.

"Michael Cecil" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:59:01 -0700, BoDEAN
wrote:

I have a built in SD card drive on my ASUS laptop. I put my sd card in
there,
windows vista rc1 finds it, but says I need to format it before I can use
it.
Didn't have to do this in windows xp. I have stuff in there I don't want
erased. Any suggestions, and why does vista require this?

Are you sure Vista doesn't need some special drivers to access the drive
properly?
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Old September 20th 06, 09:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
TheGent

I have an Asus A6km and my built-in card reader doesn't work at all. I think
it's a Ricoh card reader. In the Hardware Manager I assume it is the "SD
Hostadapter"? How can I get this card reader to work? Ricoh doesn't provide
drivers. Does MS do this?

Old September 24th 06, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bizzarefoods

Im having problems much like this but... I have a built in card reader
it has 4 card slots i have a sd card and i was first running XP home on
this computer and in my computer it showed 4 removable drives plus the
two usb ports on the front of my computer i have just tryed puting in
the card and windows vista RC1 does not show anything at all so i
tryed pulg in my camera thro usb with the memory card in the camera and
vista installed the drives and im able to get to the memory card like
that. But i want my card reader to work seeing that I dont have a
leagal copy of XP anymore (it crashed i got vista RC1). Is there
anything i have to install to have it work i didnt have to on XP home
or profesanial?? Please help. I have also looked in the device manager
there is no sign of my card or card reader _

--
bizzarefoods
bizzarefoods's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=17893

http://www.techarena.in