Vista Banter

-   -   Problem with realtek on-board sound (http://www.vistabanter.com/6530-problem-realtek-board-sound.html)

M. Williams September 12th 06 05:44 AM

Problem with realtek on-board sound

I have just installed RC1 and everything works great, except my sound. I have
never had a problem out of it, even with the Beta 2, but with the new RC1 I
cannot get 5.1 to work. Iv tried the auto-update that came with RC1 and it
would not allow me to open or setup my speaker configuration in any way
through Realtek's suplied menus and options, but I can go through the
Playback Devices option and still set things to 5.1. But Even setting that to
5.1, it still will not play any sound through my back left or right speaker.
I uninstalled the driver, then installed the driver from Realtek's website
for Vista, and still I have no working Realtek menus, and Im still limited to
2.1.

Upon attempting to open the Realtek icon in the tray or control panel, it
brings up an error saying "HD Audio Control Panel for Vista has stopped
working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
close the program and notify you if a solution is available." and removes the
icon from the tray and refuses to use any of Realtek's settings and/or menu.
The only thing I can do is use the Playback Device option, which does not
allow you to choose what 'plug' is in which 'jack', like the Realtek's menu
allows, which is needed for proper sound configuration. Even though Playback
Devices has 5.1, and it reads my device as HD on-board and all (which I have
checked it to make sure) it still will not use my rear two speakers. I'v seen
many people with similer problems but I have yet to see an answer or
solution. If anyone can figure this out or help, I will greatly appriciate
it, as I really miss CoD2 and NFS:MW played in 5.1, not to mention my music
sucks with just 2.1(or should that be 3.1 cause my center speaker works).
Please Help! :(