Old June 13th 08, 04:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
lighthousekeeper

Default upgrade to 64 bit

Most likely you have a device that causes the freezeup. Also phenom cpu's
have not so good marriage with Vista 64 bit. To help I need to know
specifics like before installing 64 was your HD cmpletely clean. If you have
a full version of 64 was the install disk completely clean ? If it's an
older version of 64 it could have very few drivers. Vista is a hungry OS.
Best bet if you have someone who has an intel 64 capable I's have them test
the disk.

1. Completely clean HD
2. Install disk is it clean, no smodges, scratches or such. The 64 version
is very fussy if the above are not clean it will lock up.
3. Do you have any other OS's, like windows XP or such, if so load it you
may have a processor problem.
4. Did you know that an intel Q6600 cpu does circles around the AMD, no AMD
can compare to it. The CPU can run anything.

If this helps great. But welcome to the extremely fussy OS called Vista.
--
BABB

"shane" wrote:

i have a amd phenom quadcore cpu. will that work with 64 bit vista because i
bought vista a while ago and it keeps freezing during instalation. it is not
an upgrade. it is a newly built pc and i am putting a full version of vista
on it from nothing. what else could the problem be?