Old June 24th 08, 08:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
borninusa

Default Optical Drive Hookup

Not to be a pain...but again....I want to exhaust my options before I come to
that conclusion and go out and fork out $50.

Does anything need to be done in the BIOS?

"Nonny" wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:56:05 -0700, borninusa
wrote:

I had a fried computer that had an optical drive I wtd to take out and put
into my new computer running Vista. The drive has IDE connections on the
back (its about 5 yrs old or so). I had bought an IDE to SATA drive adaptor
in order to hookup the drive to my computer.

I put the card on the back of the drive and hooked up one cable out of the
back of the drive to an empty power cable...and the other cable out of the
back of the drive to the SATA3 slot on the motherboard (the only one not
used).

I went to re-boot the computer but during the boot process, it hangs.

Do I have to do anything to the master/slave thing on the back of the drive
or do anything in BIOS before the drive works?

I am a bit new to this but I had thought I did things correctly. I just
figured that I would slap the drive in..the computer would recognize
it..install drivers..and be good to go.

Anyways..any help is appreciated (in laymans terms of course).

Your drive might just be too old. Buy a new SATA drive and forget
about the adapter.