Vista starts in Safe Mode all the time

Old August 17th 07, 01:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Lene

Default Vista starts in Safe Mode all the time

Hi there

I've searched the net fro info about this but I just don't get any wiser.

Here's the story.
Installed a HP photosmart 516 (so that you can print out photos). All worked
fine eventhough it wasn't "certified" for Vista. I printed pictures and so on
- worked normally on it with office programs and windows mail. I went away
from it for a couple of days (it goes into standby - and my husband told me
that one night he woke up because it started by itself and then it shut
down??!!) Coming back and restarting the desktop made it almost freeze BEFORE
even running the BIOS. I thought that there was something wrong with the BIOS
and have even looked for updates at HP's webpages. But it's not
that.....after about 15 min it starts as always no problems.
Of course I got annyoed with this one evening so I went into Safe Mode to
see if there was any difference in doing that....Being in there I decided to
make a "System Restore" to see if that could help. So that's what I did.
After this it only starts in Safe Mode!!!
But it doesn't wait for 15 min before loading the BIOS or whatever it's
working with...
I have been trying to System Restore even further back....no changes.
Then I went into msconfig and tried a few things that I read on the net.
Still the same.
I brought it with me to my work where we are 3 that works with IT in hope
that 3 pair of eyes may see more than one pair.
And we came up with making a new user with admin rights and then changing
again in msconfig to not make "Safe Boot" (this underneath "Boot"). Then it
can start the right way BUT then it doesn't allow some programs to startup??!!
OKay we then took away the programs from the startup folder. Still the same
problem because then it was msconfig that was the new problem ...not being
permitted to run in startup (wherever that came from??)
Everytime we go into msconfig and choose the option that we want windows run
normally then it by itself marks that it should start in Safe Mode (under
"Boot")?
Even when chooseing from F8 that it should start normally - it starts in
Safe Mode.
I'm getting grey hairs and loseing hair too from this - because we have
absolutely no idea how to stop it from misbehaving. ---- Sure --- we could
reinstall it and I could make a back up of all the files.....but then I
still wouldn't know what the problem was or whether it will suddenly happen
again -- beside that I've had it for so little time that I haven't made
"discovery disk's" yet... --- clever me ;-)

Are there anybody out there that have heard about anything like this or
there might have a brilliant idea???
Thanks in advance & Wishing you all a nice day :-)
--
LSH

Old August 17th 07, 07:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Lene

YES
That's one of the real problems. If that is not checked then I can't choose
Normal startup" under "General" tab in MSConfig. If I check that I want
"Normal Startup" then it by itself choose "Safeboot" under "Boot" tab.
This means that I can never choose a "normal startup"
If I choose the safe boot not checked then it starts up "kind of" correct
but takes away a lot of programs that are being blocked from starting. EVEN
when taking away these programs from the automatic startup then it complaints
about the MSConfig (System Configuration) program??? That I really don't get
because that is Microsoft's own and that of all should be permitted to run
or???

LSH

Old October 27th 07, 03:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

Have you tried repairing your Startup? Boot from the Windows Vista DVD
choose the System Recovery option on the setup page click "Repair
Computer" select your installation click the Startup Repair option and
follow the instructions.
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

Old October 27th 07, 10:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Judgebob

I upgraded to Vista Ultimate through MS Digital locker and so far I've been
unable to figure out a way to access my download. It's unclear to me why I
didn't make a backup except that I assumed I could re-download later. I'll
keep trying to get back my Vista Ultimate because it makes the most sense. If
you have any other ideas, I'll take 'em gratefully. Thanks,
Bob

Old October 27th 07, 12:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

Thats one of the Chicken egg situations with Digital Locker, how will you
preserve data if you downloaded Vista and upgrade to it on the same
situation. Can at least boot into Safe Mode with Networking and then backup
the Vista image to another computer over the network?
--

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

Have you checked Msconfig\BOOT.INI if Safeboot in not checked

--
Peter

Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be
acknowledged.

Old August 30th 08, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
PcMed365[_2_]

Did you ever find a fix for this problem?

Old May 1st 09, 04:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nimsy[_2_]

Lene,

We seem to have the exact same problems, the only different may be that
you are using a desktop while I'm running a Dell Vista laptop.
The problem seemed to have began right after we System Restored after
the first auto restart. Futhermore, the problem seemed permanate when we
ran "msconfig". (Shouldn't run msconfig by following a site guide)
Because of the System Restore the "msconfig" runs itself on Safe Mode
mainly because you probably check "Normal Setup" following the
restore.
Normal Setup after the restore takes you to the original settings which
runs only basic the devices and drivers. This will not run other
installed programs that aren't mandatory to run Windows Vista, thus it
being in Safe Mode.

The only solution to this problem is a Windows Reinstallation
and remember not to follow a site guide to MSCONFIG without
credentials.

sites like "dell tech support"
or your branded computer support center

Old May 1st 09, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nimsy

problem starts with an incompatible program to Vista
such as...HP photosmart 516
Roxio DE
AVG 8.5 update
MS Digital locker