USB Pen Drive Fails

Old August 16th 07, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Bikini Browser[_2_]

Default USB Pen Drive Fails

Hello

After we did an upgrade from Windows Vista home to Windows Vista Business,
our USB pen drive is not recognized anymore. What could cause this and how
do I fix that?

Bikini Browser

Old August 16th 07, 11:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
PvdG42

"Bikini Browser" wrote in message
Hello

After we did an upgrade from Windows Vista home to Windows Vista Business,
our USB pen drive is not recognized anymore. What could cause this and
how do I fix that?

Bikini Browser

This may solve it for you.

A fairly common issue faced by Vista users is non-recognition of USB
devices, particularly memory sticks.
Here is a solution that has worked for many Vista users (myself included, on
one installation):

Locate the file INFCACHE.1 on the PC. You'll find it in OS
drive\Windows\inf

Give yourself full control of INFCACHE.1 by right-clicking on it, then
Properties-Security-Edit to add your users group with full control.
Delete INFCACHE.1

Reboot your machine, then try the USB memory stick (or device). Hopefully,
Vista will
now find and install the needed driver.

Old August 16th 07, 11:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Cumulative update rollup for Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936003/en-us

Submit an online request to obtain a Microsoft hotfix
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935195

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Old August 22nd 07, 12:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Paddy Landau

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
Submit an online request to obtain a Microsoft hotfix
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935195

Thank you for that information.

The hotfix page asks for the platform and gives three options:
X86, X64 and ia64. What do they mean and what should I choose?

Thank you
Old August 22nd 07, 02:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paddy Landau

Paddy Landau wrote:
The hotfix page asks for the platform and gives three options: X86, X64
and ia64. What do they mean and what should I choose?

I (accidentally) discovered the answer to my own question.

Control Panel - Device Manager
Open "Computer".
If necessary, right-click the listed computer and select
"Properties".

With luck, you'll see the required option there.
Old October 13th 07, 09:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
John Bryntze

It is different processor architecture, I would guess yours is a x86 (the
two others are for 64 bits version of Vista, you probably run 32 bits)