"Specified Print Monitor"?

Old August 17th 07, 06:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jim Speiser

Default "Specified Print Monitor"?

Just got a new laptop with Windows Vista Home. Can't connect to a network
printer that was easily accessible to Windows XP computers. I get a prompt
to download the drivers, then I get an error message that says "The specified
print monitor was not found."

I know I'm not the only one with this problem, there's at least one other
post here with the same issue, but no answers yet. Can someone help us
resolve this? Thanks.

Old August 17th 07, 09:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Is UAC disabled or do you logon with the built in admin account?

This addresses several issues one of them is a connection issue when UAC is
disabled and the shared printer has a language monitor..

here's the KB
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

here's the x86 download

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

news

Old August 18th 07, 03:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jim Speiser

What is UAC? I logon to the Vista machine with an account I created, that
has admin privileges.

Old August 20th 07, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa906021.aspx
User Account Control Overview

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE --

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Is UAC disabled or do you logon with the built in admin account?

This addresses several issues one of them is a connection issue when UAC

is
disabled and the shared printer has a language monitor..

here's the KB
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

here's the x86 download

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

rights.

Old August 20th 07, 07:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jim Speiser

I have time to read about 2 paragraphs of that. I assume I have admin
privileges, because I am not restricted from any activities -INCLUDING adding
other network printers attached to XP servers, which I have done. Its just
this one printer. And incidentally, HP is unable to fix this problem - after
about 4 hours of online help, they chalk it up to "incompatibility." That,
of course, will not fly with me.

==JJS==

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Is UAC disabled or do you logon with the built in admin account?

This addresses several issues one of them is a connection issue when UAC

is
disabled and the shared printer has a language monitor..

here's the KB
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

here's the x86 download

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

rights.

news Just got a new laptop with Windows Vista Home. Can't connect to a

Old August 20th 07, 08:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Jim Speiser

Third time is the charm. HP was able to kludge it together and make it work.
Apparently you have to define a LOCAL port on the Vista machine, and give it
the name \\SERVER\PrinterShareName.

The printer model, by the way, is an OfficeJet J5780 All-in-One.

Thanks,
==JJS==

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

What model?