Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Low Disk Space in Recovery "D" Vista OS

Old April 1st 08, 11:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

Default Low Disk Space in Recovery "D" Vista OS

"Crystal" wrote in message
Hi, I'm having the same problem. I finally got on the HP hotline :
www.welcome.hp.com/country/contact_us.html

All the data is going into the D drive and it is suppose to be going in
the
C drive. After talking with two technicians and not being able to find my
folder with my name in this drive, I was told I would have to use the
recovery disk that I have made after buying the PC.

That means I have to transfer all my data to an external drive, do the
recovery discs and then reapply my data. Vista still has
bugs..........Hope
the service pact will take care of them. Good luck phoning them, they are
great.........

"Mart" wrote:

My computer alerts me that I have low disk space in recovery "D".
Recovery
shows 1% of disk space left. How to I correct this. This is my first
post
and I'm a beginner at this.

Backups always try to find a drive other than C because backing up onto the
boot drive is just not sense.

Whatever backup program you were running has looked for a drive other than
the boot drive, but unfortunately has tried to stuff the files into the
small amount of space needed for the recovery drive NOT to pop up low disk
space warnings.

Get yourself either a one touch backup solution or an external USB hard
drive and Acronis TrueImage.

If you can't afford this, use the backup facility in your CD/DVD burning
suite.

In the meantime, remove any files that you have backed up into your recovery
partition. Be careful not to remove anything the manufacturer put there..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old April 1st 08, 11:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

"davidjchuang" wrote in message

Mart;426047 Wrote:
My computer alerts me that I have low disk space in recovery "D".
Recovery
shows 1% of disk space left. How to I correct this. This is my first
post
and I'm a beginner at this.

Hi, Mart. You did not tell us what OS (operating system) is your
computer running. Vista Basic?,Vista Home Premium?, Vista Ultimate? Is
it 32-bit, or 64-bit? You can look them up from your owner manual ( if
you don't know how to do that on your computer ).
Mine is a Home premium 32-bit. I have 2 hard drives and 1 "removable"
DVD-RW drive.
Hard drive #1 is called OS (C )which is a System drive
#2 is called D: which is local drive
The removable drive is self-explanatory. You know, for playing dvd and
cd.
OS (C) is where all my programs are stored, which is why it has 99.2
GB of space.
D: local drive is where my laptop uses for "files backup", and it has
9.99 GB of space. If you have the same OS as I do, this IS the one you
CAN TOUCH. You can delete files you don't want , if you know what you
are doing. If you don't, and since you have only 1% of space left, there
is one quick fix --- for now. It's by compressing what are in the D
drive. Here is how : --
1.) click START ( the logo at the bottom left corner )
2.) a panel will appear. On the right side look for Computer, click
that.
3.) a window will show all your disk drives. Look for your D drive.
Right click on that drive, and click Properties
4.) you should see a pie chart showing how much free space it has left.
If it is as you said (1%), look for the word COMPRESS, check the box in
front of the word. You should see the pie chart has changed, giving you
more space.
5.) also, look for the box that says DISK CLEANUP, click that.
6.) another window will show up, just click OK on that window.
7.) a 3rd window will show up, click DELETE FILES.
That's it --- for now. Do the disk cleanup on a regular basis. The rest
is up to you to post questions and learn . Good LUck. Please post the
result, thank you.

--
davidjchuang

This is some of the worst advice I have ever seen in a newsgroup..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old April 2nd 08, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
davidjchuang[_123_]

Mike Hall - MVP;668880 Wrote:
"davidjchuang" wrote in
message

#2 is called D: which is local drive
[...]

'Help US help YOU - Making good newsgroup posts:'
(http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm)
'How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups'
(http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc)
Mike's Window - My Blog..
'Mike's Window' (http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx)

This forum is for people to help and learn from one another. Criticism
is counter-productive at best. If you disagree with my idea, point out
the flaws of my idea, so that we can all learn. If you have a much
better way to solve Mart's pressing problem, a way a "beginner" can
understand and follow, tell him, so that he can benefit from your
wisdom. So far, you have done none of the above.

--
davidjchuang
Old April 2nd 08, 11:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

"davidjchuang" wrote in message

Mike Hall - MVP;668880 Wrote:
"davidjchuang" wrote in
message

#2 is called D: which is local drive
[...]

Then you should look a little harder because I did give advice to the OP.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old April 3rd 08, 12:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
davidjchuang[_124_]

Mike Hall - MVP;670674 Wrote:
"davidjchuang" wrote in
message

Mike Hall - MVP;668880 Wrote:

[...]

What advice ? What makes you think he knows what is " one touch backup
solution "
What makes you think he knows how to do backup to cds?
What makes you think he knows how to "remove" files? What makes you
think he knows how to tell which file is which?
Does the word BEGINNER means anything to you? Forgot how it was when
you were one of those --- beginner ?

--
davidjchuang
Old April 3rd 08, 12:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Bob

Mike's advice was spot on.

The problem with your "advice" is it came off like you really knew what you
were talking about but it was totally wrong.
It's good that you're willing to give advice but you need to do a little
research before you do. i.e. The Recovery Drive should NOT be used to store
any files. It only has one purpose which is to restore to factory condition.
------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"davidjchuang" wrote in message

Mike Hall - MVP;668880 Wrote:
"davidjchuang" wrote in
message

Old April 3rd 08, 01:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
davidjchuang[_126_]

Mike Hall - MVP;668880 Wrote:

This forum is for people to help and learn from one another.

Criticism
is counter-productive at best. If you disagree with my idea, point

out
the flaws of my idea, so that we can all learn. If you have a much
better way to solve Mart's pressing problem, a way a "beginner" can
understand and follow, tell him, so that he can benefit from your
wisdom. So far, you have done none of the above.

--
davidjchuang

Thank you, Bob.I am not trying to be arguementative, please tell me
what is the difference of the following : --
Mike said " Whatever backup program you were running has looked for a
drive other than the boot drive, but unfortunately has tried to stuff
the files into the small amount of space needed for the recovery drive
---"
I said " D: local drive is where my laptop uses for "files backup----"

Mike said " In the meantime, remove any files that you have backed up
into your recover partition ---"
I said " You can delete files you don't want ----". By that I meant the
files that were backedup to the D: drive. I never imply putting/adding
files into the D drive.

I did say right from the start that my OS is home premium, and that I
have 2 hard drives ; OS (C system drive, and D: local drive. My "
files backup " always go to D: drive. Furthermore, I said in no
uncertain term that if his OS is same as mine ---.
So, please tell me where was I totally wrong. I am geniunely eager to
know.

--
davidjchuang
Old April 3rd 08, 02:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

"davidjchuang" wrote in message

Mike Hall - MVP;670674 Wrote:
"davidjchuang" wrote in
message

Mike Hall - MVP;668880 Wrote:

[...]

A visit to any decent computer store will reveal the identity of a one touch
backup solution. They come with backup software.

An external USB hard drive enclosure will also be found at the store, and
can be a cheaper alternative to the one touch type..

Backing up with a CD/DVD burning utility is covered in the utility's help
files, very often in the form of a video tutorial..

The best person for identifying the names of backed up files is the person
who created them..

OK. What you NEVER do is compress a recovery partition. In fact, it is not a
good idea to compress ANY partition..

You explained your machine configuration, but there is a 99% chance the the
OP's machine configuration is not the same as yours, so any attempt to
follow what you said would end up in total confusion..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old April 3rd 08, 03:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Bob

I don't understand what you are saying.

You claim to have two hard drives neither of which is removable. Did you
install an additional internal hard drive? I think you are referring to the
recovery partition as a separate hard drive which it is not. The recovery
partition is on the same physical drive as C: drive.

Old April 3rd 08, 04:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
davidjchuang[_127_]

Bob;670773 Wrote:

[...]

No, sir, I did not. It came that way. I click Computer, and the window
will show :

Hard Disk Drives (2) ________________

(Icon here) OS (C ( showing total GB, and how many left )

(Icon here) Local Disk (D ( showing total GB, and how many left)

Devices with Removable Storage (1) ____________

(Icon here) DVD RW Drive (E

That's how I will see. I'm sorry, I have no idea about those smiling
faces, I did not do it.

--
davidjchuang