Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Low Disk Space in Recovery "D" Vista OS

Old August 19th 07, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
mart

Default Low Disk Space in Recovery "D" Vista OS

My computer alerts me that I have low disk space in recovery "D". Recovery
shows 1% of disk space left. How to I correct this. This is my first post
and I'm a beginner at this.

Old August 19th 07, 07:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Cal Bear '66

Use Disk Manager to delete the drive letter and you won't see the alert again.

Control Panel (Classic view) Administrative Tools Computer Management Disk
Management

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old August 19th 07, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
DevilsPGD

In message Mart
wrote:

My computer alerts me that I have low disk space in recovery "D". Recovery
shows 1% of disk space left. How to I correct this. This is my first post
and I'm a beginner at this.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=turn+o...+space+warning

Short version;

* Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
* Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\
CurrentVersion\ Policies\ Explorer.
* If it's not there, create a DWORD value and call it
NoLowDiskSpaceChecks.
* Double-click on NoLowDiskSpaceChecks, and enter the value 1, and
press OK.

(Insert your own "Editing the registry may cause locusts to spew forth
from your computer" warning here)

Unfortunately I can't find a way to do this on a per-volume basis, only
a master on/off switch.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old August 19th 07, 08:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
AJR

Hold on a minute Mart. By "...recovery "D". Recovery..." are you
referring to a "Restore (Recovery) Partition" - did it come with the
computer and is (D) labelled as such?

Most OEMs (equipment manufacturers) include a restore/recovery partition on
the computer. This partition contains "everything" on the computer at the
time it was manufactured and is used to restore the computer to it's
original state- in some instances a CD/DVD is also provided. Recovery is by
booting from a CD or "Hit the F11 key...." message at boot.
Some OEMs make the partition hidden and/or inaccessible to protect it.

Documentation you received should explain your opriton regarding the
partition - some OEMs fprovide a utility to copy the partition contents to
CD/DVD and a means to "recoup' the space.

If it is an actual restore/recovery partition you should not utilize it in
any way (copy data, install stuff, etc.).

Old August 19th 07, 10:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
mayjacks

Hi. I know exactly what you are talking about. I too have a Vista Ultimate OS
and when I click on "computer" and all the hardware shows up such as "C:",
"E:", etc., there is one that is labeled Recovery "D:", and there is a red
indicator showing the amount of space used (just like the green one next to
hard drive "C:").

At this time, The green one for "C:" harddrive indicates very little space
is being used. However, the "D:" drive indicator is red, and is almost all
the way to the end, which means I too, have only the "1%" of disk space left
that you mentioned.

I am afraid to delete these files and have found nothing about this disk in
the system's book.
please let me know if you find out anything about this disk. Thanks, Mayjacks

Old August 19th 07, 10:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Cal Bear '66

Your D drive is a Recovery partition set up at the factory to enable you to
restore your computer to a factory shipped condition. You should have
instructions to show you how to make Recovery DVDs from it, and then you can
delete the partition if you want and expand the C partition to take up the
space. You should not use this partition for anything.

You can get rid of the low space alert by deleting the drive letter in Disc
Management if you want. This will not harm the data.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old August 20th 07, 02:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
drob

I don't know much about this stuff but I do agree with AJR that Recovery D
should not be touched. On my Dell that I have now and on my HP and Compaq
that I had in the past, Recovery D came with the computer and you don't add
or change anything on it, you just use it to restore your system.
My question though, I have seen others post messages about thier D
Recovery drive being filled to capacity. But how does it get filled anyway?
Are people installing things into the D recovery drive? I have never had the
size of mine change on me. It is 9.99 GB with 6.14 Gb free. So I was just
wondering, why people have that happen, am I supposed to be putting back up
things in there or something? Have I not been using this right all these
years? Like I said, i really don't know much about this stuff, so I am
asking. Thanks

Old August 20th 07, 06:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Michael Palumbo

"Cal Bear '66" wrote in message
Your D drive is a Recovery partition set up at the factory to enable you
to restore your computer to a factory shipped condition. You should have
instructions to show you how to make Recovery DVDs from it, and then you
can delete the partition if you want and expand the C partition to take up
the space. You should not use this partition for anything.

You can get rid of the low space alert by deleting the drive letter in
Disc Management if you want. This will not harm the data.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

However, deleting the drive letter will cause the recovery environment (Win
RE) to no longer have access to the partition. So if you don't have the
data copied to DVD(s) and something goes wrong and you need to do a system
recovery, you're stuck.

This is the very reason the drive is left visible, else the OEM would have
simply excluded a drive letter as they have for the other utility partitions
that are most likely present, but unavailable when the OS is running.

Mic

Old April 1st 08, 02:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
crystal

Hi, I'm having the same problem. I finally got on the HP hotline :
www.welcome.hp.com/country/contact_us.html

All the data is going into the D drive and it is suppose to be going in the
C drive. After talking with two technicians and not being able to find my
folder with my name in this drive, I was told I would have to use the
recovery disk that I have made after buying the PC.

That means I have to transfer all my data to an external drive, do the
recovery discs and then reapply my data. Vista still has bugs..........Hope
the service pact will take care of them. Good luck phoning them, they are
great.........

Old April 1st 08, 04:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
davidjchuang[_115_]

Mart;426047 Wrote:
My computer alerts me that I have low disk space in recovery "D".
Recovery
shows 1% of disk space left. How to I correct this. This is my first
post
and I'm a beginner at this.

Hi, Mart. You did not tell us what OS (operating system) is your
computer running. Vista Basic?,Vista Home Premium?, Vista Ultimate? Is
it 32-bit, or 64-bit? You can look them up from your owner manual ( if
you don't know how to do that on your computer ).
Mine is a Home premium 32-bit. I have 2 hard drives and 1 "removable"
DVD-RW drive.
Hard drive #1 is called OS (C )which is a System drive
#2 is called D: which is local drive
The removable drive is self-explanatory. You know, for playing dvd and
cd.
OS (C) is where all my programs are stored, which is why it has 99.2
GB of space.
D: local drive is where my laptop uses for "files backup", and it has
9.99 GB of space. If you have the same OS as I do, this IS the one you
CAN TOUCH. You can delete files you don't want , if you know what you
are doing. If you don't, and since you have only 1% of space left, there
is one quick fix --- for now. It's by compressing what are in the D
drive. Here is how : --
1.) click START ( the logo at the bottom left corner )
2.) a panel will appear. On the right side look for Computer, click
that.
3.) a window will show all your disk drives. Look for your D drive.
Right click on that drive, and click Properties
4.) you should see a pie chart showing how much free space it has left.
If it is as you said (1%), look for the word COMPRESS, check the box in
front of the word. You should see the pie chart has changed, giving you
more space.
5.) also, look for the box that says DISK CLEANUP, click that.
6.) another window will show up, just click OK on that window.
7.) a 3rd window will show up, click DELETE FILES.
That's it --- for now. Do the disk cleanup on a regular basis. The rest
is up to you to post questions and learn . Good LUck. Please post the
result, thank you.

--
davidjchuang