Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver - On every bootup

Old August 21st 07, 04:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

Default Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver - On every bootup

Every time I reboot, I get a prompt asking for permission to install
"Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver", every time I do, and all is
well until the next reboot.

If I choose "Ask me later" my card reader doesn't work, so it appears
likely that I do want this driver installed.

Any clues why I'm prompted on each bootup for the same driver?

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old December 6th 07, 02:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SQLGeek

I get this same [crock] dialog box on my Vista Home Premium 32bit
machine, too. And not just at boot time - it also comes up sometimes
after restoring from a hibernate. WHY can't Microsoft write code that
JUST WORKS??

--
SQLGeek
Old December 17th 07, 06:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave_in_WI

Yep, I have the same issue. New Acer computer. Multicard reader under
portable devices had the exclamation point next to it.
Uninstalled/reinstalled driver and it came back up not as the card reader but
as Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver and still with the exclamation
point. It will read the cards (XD, SD, and USB) but it keeps asking for the
driver -- which it shouldn't even need since the OS should recognize it
anyway. Called MS, they said that since my system came with the OS
preinstalled they didn't support it. Called Acer, they said they only gave
hardware support -- great!! Maybe I'll dig out my XP Pro CD and install that
instead!

And now, after installing everything as admin, after I set up a regular user
account, it won't log on. I tried to create a user account and the guest
account, and when I try to log on, it goes to a blue screen and just sits
there. I can ctrl-alt-del and log off and log on under the admin acct okay.

I really didn't want Vista but that is all that I could get with a new PC.
Have had other issues too -- Media player wouldn't work initially because of
a sound card conflict.

From reading other posts, this UPD FileSystem issue is pretty widespread.
Was it caused by some sort of automatic update by MS?

The only "advice" I get from Acer is to restore the system to factory
defaults -- and lose two days worth of installing software??? -- I don't
think so.

Grrr

Old July 6th 08, 04:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
hicksi61

Hi,
Having the same problem and cannot find a solution on any of the
Microsoft Sites. Bill Gates knew when to get out! I am planning to move
over to Lynux any day now but sadly there are a lot of programs that i
need MS for. I notice that the WPD File Sytem volume driver reboots
every time but only does so successfully every second time i boot up.
There does not appear to be any problems one way or the other but one
has to wonder what MS has done with our windows! If you get an answer
to this problem i would love to hear it.

Warren

--
hicksi61
Old July 6th 08, 10:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message hicksi61
wrote:

Having the same problem and cannot find a solution on any of the
Microsoft Sites.

Indeed. It's an oddity, but it doesn't appear to be related to specific
hardware or specific configurations as I've got several completely
identical systems here and only have the problem on one.

Bill Gates knew when to get out!

What does that have to do with *anything*?

I am planning to move
over to Lynux any day now but sadly there are a lot of programs that i
need MS for.

Learning to spell Linux might be a good start.
Old November 19th 08, 02:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AndrewMBaines

I had the same problem (in another thread). Try disabling all the card
reader drives, then enable them one-by-one. ONe of them will cause
trouble. Just disable it. My problem was with the Compact Flash drive.

--
AndrewMBaines
Old November 26th 08, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
yourgoodimbetter[_2_]

I fed from the above comment and came with a solution to my issue. I'm
currently running Vista Home Premium 32 bit with a HP a6130n desktop
computer. The issue is the same although i noticed one of the card
readers were missing under computer folder. Instructions are as
follows:

1. Right click computer under the start tab and select manage
2. Click on the Device manager tab. You will see the ! in "WPD
FileSystem Volume driver software."
3. Click on Disk drives and disable each one until the WPD FileSystem
disappears.
4. Reinable all the drives then right click the problem drive and
select properties.
5. Click on the volumes tab then select "populate" then note down what
Disk number the populate assigned it.
folder called Disk Management(under the Storage folder). Select Disk
Management.
7. At the bottom is a list of disks. Right click the disk number you
populated for the problem drive and select "Change drive letter and
paths.."
8. Assign the drive letter and go back to the Device Manager.
9. problem gone.

--
yourgoodimbetter
yourgoodimbetter's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/yourgoodimbetter.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old November 27th 08, 09:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AndrewMBaines

Very nice. I had no drive letters assigned as I only use the SD reader.
I've now assigned letters and all works well.
Thanks

--
AndrewMBaines