ATI Drivers & Vista

Old September 19th 06, 05:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Anthony LiPetri

Default ATI Drivers & Vista

Just did a clean install of Vista RC1 and have determined that the Code 43
issue is not with the ATI drivers themselves, but with the motherboard. If
you're having issues with the drivers the most likely cause is that your
motherboard (at this time) has no support for the WDDM. I am no expert by
any means but for me to have an issue now with my graphics card means that
my motherboard (giga-byte 8trx330-L) doesn't have support yet. I advise you
to go to your motherboard's website and see if your motherboard has new
firmware to support WDDM.

Old September 22nd 06, 06:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
NW Otter

I too have been having trouble installing Vista with a ATI Radeon X1600 pro
AGP video card and a Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 motherboard. I first could not get
the drivers to install. When I finally did manage to get the Microsoft driver
to install, I got the blue screen of death upon reboot. Rolling back to the
vga driver, I then installed the latest MB drivers from the Gigabyte website,
including the PCI-AGP driver. I then reinstalled the AGP driver and still the
blue screen of death. I have the memory dump file if any MS techs are
interested... but it's about 122 mb.

I have a NVIDIA card on order, should be here Friday. We'll see if that
works.

Old September 23rd 06, 07:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
NW Otter

Installed a GeForce 6200 card with 256mb. Works fine. Bad news for ATI.

Am running dual flat screens at 1600x1200 with aero and looks pretty good.
Maybe just a little sluggish in some places.