Using Vista

Old September 20th 06, 02:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AJ

Default Using Vista

Once I install Vista on my computer, is there an easy way to go back to my
original XP if I encounter problems? Is there a way to easily go back and
forth between the 2 operating systems? If I have the Recovery CD for my
computer, the worst that can happen is that I reinstall windows XP correct?
I used the upgrade advisor and it's telling me that these issues exist and
I'm not sure if it will cause major problems.

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio Analog Devices, Inc. After you upgrade,
go to the Windows Update website to download the latest driver for this
device.

DVD-RAM Driver Before you upgrade to Windows Vista, uninstall this
program. After you upgrade you can reinstall the program.

Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card TOSHIBA After you upgrade, go to the
Windows Update website to download the latest driver for this device.

Programs

TOSHIBA TouchPad On/Off Utility V2.05.00 Due to compatibility issues,
this program may not work as expected after upgrading to Windows Vista.
Please visit the vendor's website for possible solutions.

Toshiba Internal Modem Due to compatibility issues, this program may
not work as expected after upgrading to Windows Vista. Please visit the
vendor's website for possible solutions.

TFncKy TOSHIBA Corporation 2.6.0.0 Due to compatibility issues, this
program may not work as expected after upgrading to Windows Vista. Please
visit the vendor's website for possible solutions.

McAfee VirusScan Due to compatibility issues, this program may not work
as expected after upgrading to Windows Vista. Please visit the vendor's
website for possible solutions.

ConfigFree Due to compatibility issues, this program may not work as
expected after upgrading to Windows Vista. Please visit the vendor's website
for possible solutions.

Alps Pointing-device Driver Due to compatibility issues, this program
may not work as expected after upgrading to Windows Vista. Please visit the
vendor's website for possible solutions.

TOSHIBA Utilities Due to compatibility issues, this program may not
work as expected after upgrading to Windows Vista. Please visit the vendor's
website for possible solutions.

RAMASST Due to compatibility issues, this program may not work as
expected after upgrading to Windows Vista. Please visit the vendor's website
for possible solutions.

Thanks for your help.
Old September 20th 06, 02:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mark D. VandenBerg

"AJ" wrote in message
[...]

Not to be condescending, but you need to read these two paragraphs very
carefully and assess your abilities honestly before proceeding. I have
provided the link so that you may do some further research, if necessary

"Note: This is beta code and should not be used in a production environment
or on a primary computer in the home. RC1 is intended for developers, IT
professionals, and technology experts to continue or begin their testing of
Windows Vista. Before you decide to use RC1, you should feel comfortable
with installing operating systems, updating drivers, and general PC
troubleshooting. Some risks of using beta operating systems include hardware
and software incompatibility and system instability. If you have concerns
about installing this beta software on your computer, we encourage you to
obtain the final release version of Windows Vista when it is available in
2007."

"In addition, once you install Windows Vista RC1, you cannot roll back to
the previous operating system installation-you will either have to acquire
and install the final released edition of Windows Vista or reinstall a
previous edition of Windows. Before installing Windows Vista RC1 on any
computer, please remember to back up all your files."

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/preview.mspx

Old September 20th 06, 02:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AJ

I understand that. If i save all my files on a DVD before I begin and then
encounter all types of problems with Vista, there should be no problem with
popping in my recovery cd and installing windows XP again, right? I dont want
to take any chances if I can't get XP back. If i know i can recover XP back
with my recovery Cd provided by Toshiba, I would try it out. So would there
be any issues recovering XP with that recovery cd?

Old September 20th 06, 02:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mark D. VandenBerg

"AJ" wrote in message
I understand that. If i save all my files on a DVD before I begin and then
encounter all types of problems with Vista, there should be no problem
with
popping in my recovery cd and installing windows XP again, right? I dont
want
to take any chances if I can't get XP back. If i know i can recover XP
back
with my recovery Cd provided by Toshiba, I would try it out. So would
there
be any issues recovering XP with that recovery cd?

More than likely you would have to reformat the hard drive and then
reinstall XP, since it is very clear in the warning that there is no
"rollback" from Vista to XP. As long as your data files, passwords, product
keys and downloaded programs are saved, reinstalling XP should not be that
difficult. As to the litany of programs that may or may not be compatible
with Vista, do yourself a favor and uninstall all of them from XP before you
upgrade to Vista. That you listed a few devices as well, surf on over to
the manufacturer web sites and see if they have Vista compatible drivers,
then download them and have them ready before you install Vista.

Old September 20th 06, 02:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

"Mark D. VandenBerg" wrote:

"AJ" wrote in message
[...]

Recover your PC NOW using the recovery CD supplied by Toshiba. Then you will
know if it works or not.

If it doesn't work now, it won't work after a screwed up Vista install.

Either way, you will be left with a paper weight until Toshiba gets it
straightened out for you.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Old September 20th 06, 03:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Some guy in Kirkland

spend 50.00 on a 160GB ATA or SATA drive (depending on what your machine can
handle) and isntall to that..

I picked up a pair of 80gb SATAII drives for like 36.00 each... one for XP
and one for Vista... if i don't like teh vista build its a reboot away...

Old September 20th 06, 01:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AJ

Ok i have a Toshiba Laptop, If i buy another hard drive I can just switch
between using one for XP and the other I would load Vista on right? I
wouldn't screw up my computer if I had 2 seperate hard drives that I can pop
in and out. Is this correct?

Old September 20th 06, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
KeithG1

If you have the harddrive space on your current harddrive, you can create
another partition (labeled VISTA) and install Vista to that new partition.
That's what I did.
You'll then have a dual boot setup where you can go back and forth.

When you're ready to remove/uninstall Vista while keeping your XP OS, use a
utility called VistaBootPro 2.1 (http://www.vistabootpro.org). Install this
application in both XP and Vista. Boot to XP and run VistaBootPro then click
the Bootloader button, check the Uninstall the Vista Bootloader radio button
then Configure It. This will get rid of Vista's boot manager and everytime
you boot your computer, it will go directly into XP. Last you would want to
delete the VISTA partition you created earlier. If you don't want to remove
VISTA, yet, you can run VistaBootPro, click the Bootloader button, check the
Reinstall the Vista Bootloader radio button then Configure It. This will get
put Vista's boot manager back and allow you to dual boot again.

Hope this helps!
KeithG2

Old September 21st 06, 07:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Todd

Yes that is correct. Having two hard drives is better than partitioning your
current hard drive, because things can still happen. In addition since only
one hard drive can be in your laptop at a time, you don't have to worry
about Vista reaching out and wiping your XP hard drive (rare but it
happens).

Todd

Old September 30th 06, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Diablo63

Diablo63
You can use the recovery disk from toshiba to re-install winxp if you
encounter problems with vista.
I have done it for my toshiba a105-s4054 since I can't get vista installed
either by 'upgade' or 'clean install' because it stalls before the 2nd
'restart' and the screen goes blank.
You will need to boot from the cd/dvd and pick the setting that says
something
about "restoring to factory installed"