The 3 GB Question…

Old August 23rd 07, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AzPhotoGuy

Default The 3 GB Question…

I am new to this group, so I apologize in advance if I am asking a redundant
question. I looked, but didn’t see the answer anywhere.

I understand that a 32 bit operating system can only see 4 gb of RAM.
Windows XP had a switch you could turn on in the boot.ini file that allowed
you to use 3 gb RAM to a single program. I am a photographer and utilize
Adobe PhotoShop (a huge RAM slut) and after moving from XP to Vista I find
that I effectively went from 3 BG of available RAM in PhotoShop to about 1.7
BG of RAM – creating a huge speed difference. Does Vista have a way to
recreate this 3 GB switch?

Old August 23rd 07, 06:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

"AzPhotoGuy" wrote in message
I am new to this group, so I apologize in advance if I am asking a
redundant
question. I looked, but didn’t see the answer anywhere.

I understand that a 32 bit operating system can only see 4 gb of RAM.
Windows XP had a switch you could turn on in the boot.ini file that
allowed
you to use 3 gb RAM to a single program. I am a photographer and utilize
Adobe PhotoShop (a huge RAM slut) and after moving from XP to Vista I find
that I effectively went from 3 BG of available RAM in PhotoShop to about
1.7
BG of RAM – creating a huge speed difference. Does Vista have a way to
recreate this 3 GB switch?

The problem is that the 32-bit version of Vista can't map all 4GB.

What you are seeking, I don't think can be done within Vista, at least not
that I'm aware of. However, some systems support memory remapping in the
system BIOS and in those cases you might be able to accomplish the task.
Check the following Knowledge Base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/

If your system doesn't fall into that category, you might try running with
3GB of ram and see if that provides more available ram to your application.
I make this suggestion only if you happen to be currently running 4GB as
removing 1GB might allow the system to take better advantage of 3GB and
should be able to deal with all of your memory under those conditions.

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend

Old August 23rd 07, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jorgen[_2_]

http://www.prophotowiki.com/w/index....ing_the_Switch
Old August 23rd 07, 07:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

"jorgen" na@invalid wrote in message
AzPhotoGuy wrote:
I am new to this group, so I apologize in advance if I am asking a
redundant question. I looked, but didn’t see the answer anywhere.

I understand that a 32 bit operating system can only see 4 gb of RAM.
Windows XP had a switch you could turn on in the boot.ini file that
allowed you to use 3 gb RAM to a single program. I am a photographer and
utilize Adobe PhotoShop (a huge RAM slut) and after moving from XP to
Vista I find that I effectively went from 3 BG of available RAM in
PhotoShop to about 1.7 BG of RAM – creating a huge speed difference. Does
Vista have a way to recreate this 3 GB switch?

http://www.prophotowiki.com/w/index....ing_the_Switch

Interesting. I'll be curious to see how well this works for him.

I thank you for the link as well.

Old August 24th 07, 02:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AzPhotoGuy

BINGO,

That's it - it worked - Thanks so much

Old August 27th 07, 09:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

"Mike Brannigan" Mike.Brannigan@localhost wrote in message
Microsoft Documentation on the use of the switch to increase the virtual
address space for the program on a 32-bit system
other boot switches

Mike Brannigan

AzPhotoGuy wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Mike. It was because of the move away from the boot.ini to BCDEdit
that I wasn't sure if the switch mentioned in the OP would still work.
Thanks for the links, I've bookmarked them for future use and reference.