Firewire (IEEE 1394) not working

Old February 15th 09, 04:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Froggystyle

Default Firewire (IEEE 1394) not working

Strange that when you search for this exact problem on Google you come
up with a million questions, and no real answers...

I am probably more frustrated than anyone else on here, because it has
worked on my Vista computer in the past, and now isn't!

I have a Dell XPS with 1394 on board, using a Ricoh 1394 driver. I
have restarted, bought a new firewire cable, tried using the USB,
resetting the camera, unplugging, replugging, uninstalling the 1394
device, Searching for updates etc... to no avail.

Bottom line, my devices show a 1394 device, and show the driver as the
most updated, but when I plug in a working Sony Camcorder (DCR-TRV38) I
don't get a ba-ding at all. I suspected a bad cable, so bought a brand
new one, still nothing.

I am using Adobe Premier Pro CS2 to attempt the importing, and have
done so successfully in the past. There are even videos on this
computer that I have captured from this camera with this unit.

I am out of ideas.

Lastly, when I plug in the USB as a last gasp effort to download stuff,
it tried to find a driver, then said there was a compatibility issue
with the Sony and Vista. After reading that three or so times I
accidentally in a fit of rage pressed "don't tell me this anymore with
this device" or something, and now wish I hadn't. Any way to undo that
little drama?

Thanks for any help. I have important video on this camera that I am
trying to capture to help me in a frivolous lawsuit against me by
someone trying to weasel out of paying a bill, and need to get to it
quickly.

Hugo;431108 Wrote:
I canīt connect my video camera Sony DV with the firewire connection.
I tried the two connections (frontal and back).I am using the 9 pin
connector
Before installing Vista It worked perfectly.
I can connect to my laptop (with a 6 pin cable) and to another older
computer with windows XP with the same 9 pin cable without problems.
As anybody a solution ?

--
Froggystyle
Old February 23rd 09, 06:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hundog

I just got the Canon DV-30 yesterday. Using Vista Business, on the first
attempt it worked with no problem, Movie Maker recognized all the
downloaded video. Than I added some more and tried the same thing...
dead! I hear the ba-ding, no visible message, and no Import Wizard.
Movie Maker on import cannot see the camcorder.
In the same time Nero recognizes the camcorder, operates it, but no
download...
Reboot, camcorder off... after several tries, it might work...
completely unstable.
In my opinion, there is a Class-Action on the horizon...
Any good news?

H.

--
Hundog
Old February 23rd 09, 07:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Max Goldman[_2_]

Hundog wrote:

In my opinion, there is a Class-Action on the horizon...

IMO, you're a moron.
Old February 24th 09, 12:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hundog

Well, thank you Mr. Goldman.
Regardless of your opinion, mine is still that the consumer, who spends
money on computers/operating systems/camcorders, should receive quality
product and no being passed from one manufacturer to another, due to
someone's "mistake"... If a O/S patch is to be blamed for the multitude
of such problems, than that should be fixed and "maybe" communicated.
Don't you agree?

--
Hundog
Old February 24th 09, 06:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Max Goldman[_2_]

Hundog wrote:

Well, thank you Mr. Goldman.
Regardless of your opinion, mine is still that the consumer, who spends
money on computers/operating systems/camcorders, should receive quality
product and no being passed from one manufacturer to another, due to
someone's "mistake"... If a O/S patch is to be blamed for the multitude
of such problems, than that should be fixed and "maybe" communicated.
Don't you agree?

Sure.

But you're a complete and insufferable moron if you think you've got
something worthy of a class-action lawsuit.

And you're a fool for showing what a complete and insufferable moron
you are.
Old February 26th 09, 07:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
sinamos

It is SIMPLE. Vista updates ruined it. I have had no problems using my
dv cam with firewire until recently. There have been a lot of updates
that I let through without really knowing what they are doing. This is
Microsoft's doing. End of story. They better post a fix soon. It has
to be from some of the updates in the passed couple of months, but I
justed used the camera with vista with no problems 2 months ago.

--
sinamos
Old February 26th 09, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
sinamos

'An IEEE 1394 device is no longer available when you wake a Windows
Vista-based computer from sleep or after you reconnect the device'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930495/en-us)

--
sinamos
Old February 26th 09, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
sinamos

And of course the password they send with the hotfix doesn't work. Wtf
is this.

--
sinamos
Old February 26th 09, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
sinamos

So, the update doesn't apply to my system. Great.

--
sinamos
Old February 26th 09, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
sinamos

12_4_08 was the last time I shot something from the firewire. There are
about 20 security updates after this point. I'm thinking of
uninstalling these updates and crossing my fingers to pin-point the
problem.

--
sinamos