Old December 29th 06, 01:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
mikeyhsd

Default System Volume Information out of control!

what I thought was an adjuster is not, did not try to adjust it, since I have MORE than enough disk space and was not worried.

all you can do apparently is to turn it off.

"Robert Blacher" wrote in message ...
That was true in XP. Want to double-check please in Vista?
"mikeyhsd" wrote in message ...
its easy to limit the amount of disk space used for restore.
on the System Properties pages you can change the % allocated.

"Robert Blacher" wrote in message ...
The syntax of the vssadmin command is not a lot of fun, but it does allow
you to control the amount of space allocated to system restore and shadow
copies.

See:

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/decreas...em_restore.htm

"Mike" wrote in message
Nevermind, it turns out that it was the System Restore, I didn't realize
that it could use up to 15% of your HDD space, 15% of 600GB is a lot of
space and you do notice... Question is, should I turn it off?

"Mike" wrote in message
I have a really stupid question: What is the System Volume Information
folder used for? And why does it contain 60GB of data there?

Running Vista x64bit Build 6000 (RTM)
RAID5 (x3 320GB)

Thanks,
Mike