ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500 - Mystery 3 AM install

Old September 23rd 06, 10:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dr. Network

Default ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500 - Mystery 3 AM install

Yesterday I upgraded an IBM T42 laptop from Windows XP SP2 to the latest
Vista RC. I finished about 7 AM in the morning.

Immediately after the upgrade, the laptop just used the standard Video
driver. Not a good situation. I worked and worked to try to replace it. I
ran the Windows XP Radeon installer and it didn't work.

This morning I logged onto the laptop determined to try again. I entered
device manager and, to my surprise, the driver for the ATI MOBILITY RADEON
7500 was the current display driver, instead of the standard display driver.

I reviewed the event log. At 3 AM the system woke up (while I slept) and
installed the ATI display driver and rebooted. By about 3:10 AM, everything
was good with the updated display driver. I'm a lot happier but can someone
explain what is going on? Why didn't the correct display driver load up when
I upgraded the laptop? Why did it suddenly wake up and load the display
adapater at 3 AM?

I'm happy that I now have the display adapter, having resolved to return to
Windows XP if necessary. Having a bad display adapter on a laptop is a
non-workable situation.

Here seems to be the eventlog message for the User-PnP system to finish
installing the right display driver after the reboot at 3:10 AM:
Driver Management concluded the process to install driver
FileRepository\monitor.inf_bf7ad9f7\monitor.inf for Device Instance ID
DISPLAY\IBM0A55\5&10DA72DE&0&00000110&01&00 with the following status: 0.

Thanks,

Chuck

Old September 25th 06, 03:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
xene

What version of the driver are you running? I currently have version
6.14.10.6546 dated 5/25/2005. When I try to update it via Windows Update, I
get an error that the update cannot be installed.

Old September 25th 06, 01:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Drivers released by MS for update using WinUpdate apparently are not also
included with the updated drivers that get installed as part of the RC1
installation since since they were not available at the time RC1 was
released. Your system just appears to have run WinUpdated for the first
time at 3AM the day after your installation.