Hard drive management - extend

Old August 25th 07, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dave Horne

Default Hard drive management - extend

I have one physical hard drive which came delivered with my Dell computer.
The D drive is 10 GB and I would like to double that.

When I right click on that drive (in Computer Management Console \ Storage),
the Extend option is grayed out.

I thought, OK, maybe I first have to Shrink the size of Drive C (228 GB) and
then the option to Extend Drive D will be available.

That didn't work. Suggestions?

Old August 25th 07, 03:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Cal Bear '66

Your D drive is a factory Restore Partition provided by Dell to recover your
computer to a factory shipped condition and should not be used for anything
else.

If you made recovery DVDs, or order them from Dell, you can delete the partition
and extend C to take up the recovered space. Or you can shrink C (although you
might have limited success with this because of the page file) and create a
larger D volume. I believe D cannot be extended as it is now because it is not
NTSF formatted,

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old August 25th 07, 03:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Adam Albright

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 17:17:56 +0200, "Dave Horne"
wrote:

I have one physical hard drive which came delivered with my Dell computer.
The D drive is 10 GB and I would like to double that.

When I right click on that drive (in Computer Management Console \ Storage),
the Extend option is grayed out.

I thought, OK, maybe I first have to Shrink the size of Drive C (228 GB) and
then the option to Extend Drive D will be available.

That didn't work. Suggestions?

Most branded computers ship with a so-called recovery partition. Best
advice, leave it alone! It is the only life saver you system probably
came with. Example you probably didn't get a Microsoft Vista DVD did
you? So if you ever have to repair your system if you mess with the
partition that is suppose to be able to recover your system and
restore it to it's original out of the box condition, you're screwed.

You are correct in that in order to expand the size of one partition
you need to get the space from another partition or from unallocated
space (non assigned disk space on a hard drive).

Since you have only one hard drive you gain nothing in the way of
better performance by carving it up into other partitions. With hard
drives as cheap as they are you would be better off adding an
additional hard drive or if you must fiddle, leave the D drive alone
and just create another drive from excess UNUSED space on C.

It is generally easier and SAFER to use third party partition
software. Just be sure whatever you pick is Vista certified. I simply
don't trust Microsoft to do a decent job with something that critical.
If you want to be a river boat gambler, reduce the size of "C", which
should create some unallocated space, then once that job is done and
you confirm that Vista now sees the allocated space make a new
partition from it leaving D alone.

So in your example you would end up with something like this:

C: 30 GB
D: 10 GB
E: 180 GB

NEVER short change your root directory. It will continue to eat up
space by default from normal system activity. The worst thing you can
do for performance it trying to make Vista run in a shoehorned space.
So you should allow at least 20 GB for the OS and swap file, then a
good margin for growth. I just used a rounded up figure for E, it
should be the size of whatever is left over.

Old August 26th 07, 10:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dave Horne

Gentlemen, thanks to both of you for your answers.

I will leave Drive D alone ... I can't extend it even by first reducing
Drive C.

The only reason for extending Dive D, the weekly backups to Drive D fail
after a few weeks since there's not enough room. I wind up deleting the
backup files and doing a total backup. I realize if Drive fails, Drive D
fails with it. I was just hoping to have an easy solution to extend Drive
D.

I'll post at the Dell forum and see what Dell suggests ... thopugh I expect
to hear the same that you guys suggested.

Thanks, Dave Horne

Old October 15th 12, 09:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

I know this thread has existed for a long time, but there are many people may want to find a way safely and flexibly extend the system partition rather than use build in disk management. And I noted on this thread have not provide the flexible and easy way to extend the partition. Before you may know Partition Magic but now it has been out of date, and now there have a alternative software AOMEI Partition Assistant which could manage this flexibly and safely. It is worth to try this software.learn more on this link: http://www.extend-partition.com
Old October 18th 12, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
kev815panatkevinpanzkedotcom

REFORMAT YOUR COMPUTER AND INSTALL OPEN SOURCE LINUX UBUNTU! JUST FYI! THREAD CLOSED! DO NOT MAKE ANY MORE REPLIES TO THIS POST OR ELSE I WILL ASK YOU HOW YOUR MALE VAGINA IS DOING WHILE QUOTING YOU BY YOUR NAME.