Asus K8Vse Deluxe - SoundMax

Old September 24th 06, 07:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John

Default Asus K8Vse Deluxe - SoundMax

Hi,

Builds 5600 and 5728 both suffer from broken sound with the Asus K8Vse
Deluxe motherboard. According to the mobo manual, the audio chipset is ADI
AD1980.

Vista loads its own drivers and claims that the sound is working ok. I've
tried to install the old drivers (from the motherboard cd) using the various
compatibility modes and other 'tricks' that have been posted on the net but
the older drivers usually cause Vista to report "DSndUP error - No ADI codec
driver is installed."

I've searched for newer drivers and even tried ones
for the AD1988. The only later Asus driver is for 64bit XP - I tried that
in the 64bit version of build 5600 but the problem persisted.

I've noticed that the mouse usually starts limping while the sound is
breaking but, according to the performance monitor, the CPU is still only
around 75%. The CPU is an AMD Althlon 64 3200+.

Having found work-arounds for the various networking problems in 5600 (all
but one fixed in 5728), it's only the sound preventing me using build 5728
full-time. I wonder has anyone found a solution, please..

John.

Old September 24th 06, 11:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
James Millistver

John, allow me to echo your sediments. I have a brand new Asus P5B using the
AD1988 Soundmax chipset, and I cannot get anthing better than stereo sound
out of it. I had to install the 64bit XP drivers (running the 64bit release,
Vista 5600) before the S/PDIF would wake up and start to work, but even so
all I can get is stereo sound.

I too had the 'No ADI codec' issue, and this seems to have licked it. Aswell
I have seen a little of the limping, but only if the system is under crazy
duress (I tried opening every program at once, just because I am weird that
way...) otherwise it appears to be stable. Also, on boot up sometimes it
will take forever to load. I have no idea as to the cause as yet, but it
could be related.

James.

Old September 25th 06, 09:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chris

"John" wrote

Builds 5600 and 5728 both suffer from broken sound with the Asus K8Vse
Deluxe motherboard. According to the mobo manual, the audio chipset is ADI
AD1980.
Vista loads its own drivers and claims that the sound is working ok.

I'm assuming that while vista states that sound is working ok, you're
in fact not hearing anything. Right?

Try this: Connect your headphone/speakers to the microphone INPUT port.

No, I'm not kidding... I am experiencing this on an ASUS A7V600-X mobo.
Drivers load ok, sound is being mapped to the wrong port. I did not
know this was technically feasible...

HTH,

Chris

Old September 26th 06, 02:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
James Millistver

interesting observation chris...

possible there is something crossed in the driver as these sound chips are
capable of delivering sound on the microphone channels to acheive 5.1 sound,
etc... and so the driver in default mode may already be doing this.

this will definately prove to be a useful tip for all the tech support peeps
out there when vista is fully released I am sure

James

"John" wrote

Old September 26th 06, 06:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John

"Chris" wrote in message

"John" wrote

Builds 5600 and 5728 both suffer from broken sound with the Asus K8Vse
Deluxe motherboard. According to the mobo manual, the audio chipset is
ADI
AD1980.
Vista loads its own drivers and claims that the sound is working ok.

I'm assuming that while vista states that sound is working ok, you're
in fact not hearing anything. Right?

No, it does work but it keeps stopping and juddering. With the mouse
becoming "jerky" at the same time, it has all the symptoms of an overworked
CPU. But the CPU is anywhere between 10% and 70% when it stutters and, if
a 3.2GHz CPU isn't fast enough, Vista will have to stay in its box

Try this: Connect your headphone/speakers to the microphone INPUT port.

No, I'm not kidding... I am experiencing this on an ASUS A7V600-X mobo.
Drivers load ok, sound is being mapped to the wrong port. I did not
know this was technically feasible...

HTH,

Chris

I think using the Realtek driver instead of the ADI one can be worked around
that way with some systems by using the 4-channel surround sound connections
but I tried those drivers and it didn't work unfortunately.

The "latest" 32-bit drivers on the Asus site for my mobo are sometime in
2003 so I'm not holding my breath for an update. Even the 64-bit, dated
2004, seems to be only a 64-bit build rather than having any later code.

John.