Driver error on USB Stick and other USB devices

Old September 25th 06, 09:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chris

Default Driver error on USB Stick and other USB devices

After installing an upgrade to 5600 I tried to install
- a compact flash
- 2 different usb sticks
- a cf card, sd card, memory stick card reader on USB

All have the same issue. The USB storage driver installs but the device
driver underneath fails with the error
"Disk Drive"
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
The parameter is incorrect.

This are standard USB sticks or Compact flash cards. Do i really need a
driver from the manufacturer for them, should those standard drivers not be
included?

the events I get are like:
Driver Management concluded the process to install driver
FileRepository\disk.inf_21f4651a\disk.inf for Device Instance ID
USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_GENERIC&PROD_USB_SD_READER&REV_1. 00\058F312D81B&0 with the
following status: 87.

Any help is appreciated!
Old September 25th 06, 10:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
rogerlebo

Hi!

I run Vista RC1 32-bits.
I have the same problem but the code is 10.
So, USB does not work.
Only USB for mouse and keyboard works well.

But all my USB work fine with:

Vista Build 5384 64-bits
Vista RC1 64-bits
Windows XP.

Bonne journée! Roger

Old September 26th 06, 01:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
denniS

Not an answer, but more evidence. My Nikon slide scanner worked just fine in
the prior beta build, but I'm, seeing the same message from 5600.

Old September 28th 06, 01:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Pavel A.

Please do bug reports on this. I'm using all kinds of flash drives on RC1, no problem.

--PA

"rogerlebo" wrote in message ...
Hi!

I run Vista RC1 32-bits.
I have the same problem but the code is 10.
So, USB does not work.
Only USB for mouse and keyboard works well.

But all my USB work fine with:

Vista Build 5384 64-bits
Vista RC1 64-bits
Windows XP.

Bonne journee! Roger

Old September 29th 06, 03:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
denniS

Build 5728 fixed the problem. It even let me install Nikon scan 4 normally
instead of having to find setup.exe and telling vista it was an xp program.
driver installed normally, all is good with this release and usb on my system.

Old December 4th 06, 02:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Phil Keogh

I got the same error with all USB Mass Storage devices from flash drives to
iPods. I was able to successfully get them working by uninstalling the
software for my Netgear SC101 network storage unit, which doesn't work in
Vista anyway. Perhaps there is a similar device with bad drivers on your
system mucking things up as well.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Old April 3rd 07, 08:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MDBS

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS FIXED MY ENTIRE PROBLEM OF NOT BEING ABLE TO INSTALL MY iPOD, HP
PERSONAL MEDIA DEVICE 350GB, & MY WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB USB STORAGE.

I HAD THIS INSTALLED ON MY COMPUTER FOR MY SECONDARY NETWORK AT HOME.

PLEASE SEND THIS AS A FIX TO THE BIG DOGS AT MICROSOFT...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!