6600GT AGP Kickin' My Butt! LCD Woes! Many Details Included.

Old August 26th 07, 04:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
neospyce

Default 6600GT AGP Kickin' My Butt! LCD Woes! Many Details Included.

My Monitor:
Westinghouse L2046NV 20.1" LCD Monitor:
(Specs)

Product Features
1,400 x 1,050 maximum resolution
Analog RGB and digital DVI-D inputs
170-degree horizontal and 160-degree vertical viewing angles
300-nit brightness, high 900:1 contrast ratio
PC and Mac compatible; 1-year warranty

Technical Details
Cabinet Color: Black
Panel Size: 20.1" color TFT active matrix LCD, anti-static and hard coated
Optimum Resolution: 1,400 x 1,050
PC Modes: VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA
Color Capability: 16.2 million colors
Response Time: 5 ms (gray to gray)
Contrast Ratio: 650:1
Brightness: 300 nits typical
Viewing Angles: 170 degrees horizontal, 160 degrees vertical
Input Signal: HD-15 pin D-sub (VGA connector), DVI-D
Voltage: 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz (auto switch), 1.6A
Operating Conditions: Temp: 32 to 95 degrees F, Humidity: 20 to 90 percent
(no condensation), Altitude: up to 3,000 meters
Storage Conditions: Temp: -4 to 140 degrees F, Humidity: 10 to 90 percent
(no condensation), Altitude: up to 12,000 meters
Regulations: FCC-B, UL, CSA (CUL), Energy Star, CCC, VCCI, Plug and Play
Power Consumption: AC on: less than 48 watts, AC off: less than 2 watts
Lamp Life: 50,000 hours
Installation Options: 100mm x 100mm VESA Pattern wall mounts
Width: 18.3 inches
Height: 16.7 inches
Depth: 7.6 inches
Weight: 10.8 pounds
Warranty: 1 year
In the box: 20.1-inch Westinghouse LCD monitor, detachable base stand, AC
power cord, VGA male-male cable, user's manual, warranty card

Card: NVIDIA GEFORCE 6600GT AGP (DVI/VGA/TV-Out) Manufacturer - Diablotek
OS: Windows Vista OS (Retail - Full)
Rig: SR1010Z PU027AV CTO (Compaq)
Installed ForceWare Driver: NVIDIA Beta 163.44 (Also Tried With Last Final
NVIDIA 162.22)

Power Supply: ATX 400W

BIOS Set To AGP
Chipset: SiS760 (Drivers Up To Date)

Currently connected with VGA, tried with DVI - same results.

Situation: Purchased Monitor yesterday and replaced 17.5" MAG LCD monitor
which displayed normal ar resolution od 1280 x 1024.

New monitor is set to it's native resolution of 1400 x 1040. Display is
grainy and pixelated as if contrast is high and sharpness is too sharp. I
have played with all settings on the monitor to no avail. I have tried
windows display settings as well as NVIDIA control panel - still no fix.
Lower resolutions display as horribly blurry. I have installed and
uninstalled drivers after each attempt to resolve, such as changing my BIOS
and installing drivers.

Please see screenshots at:
http://www.neobrat.com/a1.jpg
http://www.neobrat.com/a2.jpg
http://www.neobrat.com/a3.jpg

Take particular note of how radio button appears in a3.jpg

I do have cleartype enable as well as Vista Aero.

Please suggest a fix to this problem.. the current display is extremely
harsh. Thank you so much in advance.

Running DirectX 10
Old August 26th 07, 05:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

According to what you posted the "optimum" resolution for your new monitor
is 1400 x 1050.

You say you are using 1400 x 1040.

Why the difference.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Old August 26th 07, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

You may think you are running DX10 however since you graphics card does not
support it it will not work it will I believe just default back to DX9.
I understand that both your display resolution and your PC desktop
resolution are set to 1400x1040, is that correct?

Old August 26th 07, 07:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
neospyce

new links:

http://lorettotel.net/~tntek40/a1.jpg
http://lorettotel.net/~tntek40/a2.jpg
http://lorettotel.net/~tntek40/a3.jpg

Old August 26th 07, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
neospyce

well, actually 1400 x 1050 (1040 was a typo) dxdiag says DirectX 10, that is
what I am going by.. i don't understand why 1 lcd does work and 1 doesn't.
can't use old lcd any longer, it has a power issue. old 1 is pretty much
useless ( takes 30 - 45 minutes
to power on after any extended shutdown )

Old August 26th 07, 08:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

DXDiag is just indicating that the software required for DX10 is on your
system. It does not mean it is in use.
Since I get perfect resolution of your 3.jpg text on my 1280x1024 LCD. I
even checked it with a magnifying glass.
I suspect that your new monitor may be faulty.

news

Old August 26th 07, 08:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PvdG42

"neospyce" wrote in message
new links:

http://lorettotel.net/~tntek40/a1.jpg
http://lorettotel.net/~tntek40/a2.jpg
http://lorettotel.net/~tntek40/a3.jpg

After looking at both sets of JPG's here on a 22" Viewsonic, I agree with
JW.
You have a bad monitor if you have issues with these.
All your screenshots look OK here.

Old August 27th 07, 01:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
The Traveller

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 09:30:03 -0700, neospyce
wrote:

My Monitor:
Westinghouse L2046NV 20.1" LCD Monitor:

- - - snipped - - -

I do have cleartype enable as well as Vista Aero.

Please suggest a fix to this problem.. the current display is extremely
harsh. Thank you so much in advance.

Running DirectX 10

I have a Westinghouse LCM-20v5 (20.1", 1400 x 1050) LCD monitor which
is similar to yours (one generation older). However, I have no
problems whatsoever with the resolution and/or quality. Like with your
system, I have Cleartype turned on and I am using DX10.

Could it be that your monitor has a MFG defect?

For reference, here is a list of what makes up my core system:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (2x 3.0 GHz cores w/2MB Cache)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 w/nVidia nForce 590 SLI
BIOS: Award Modular rev F7 (current)
RAM: 2048 MB (Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400PRO - DDR2-800, PC2-6400)
Video: BFG - nVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT OC (w/512 MB DDR3)
Video Driver: nVIDIA 162.22 (WHQL)
O/S: Microsoft Windows Vista Business (up to date)

The Traveller
Oceanside, California