Old December 30th 06, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst

Default Any solutions To Dvd writers not being recognized

Cabling?

"Rick Rogers" wrote in message
Hi,

Well, at this juncture all I can tell you is that I and many others have
used Vista (from early alpha bits, through the beta and RC builds, and the
RTM) with quite a variety of DVD drives, from generic cheapies to
expensive units without issue. While I have seen the upper/lower filters
issue still occur, it does not seem to be related to the drive but rather
a glitch in the OS. However, I don't believe that to be the underlying
cause of the issue you are encountering. If multiple different branded
drives aren't working under it, then logic dictates that the cause is
something common to all of them. As many others have used Vista without
issues with DVD drives of a variety of makes, that leaves the motherboard
or controllers as being the possible cause. There have been some minor
issues with Nvidia chipsets, perhaps this may be the problem. Is the board
of recent build? Have you checked with the manufacturer for an updated
BIOS?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bcs4" wrote in message
That would seem possible except for the fact that i installed vista on
the
other xp pro box and had the same problem before uninstalling it and
returning to XP

"Bcs4" wrote:

As I have previously read and posted there seems to be numerous problems
many dvdwriters not being recognized or appearing in device manager as
non
functioning. I have 4 different dvdwriters that I have installed on a
vista
based pc and none of them work i have updated all firmware and been told
by
the manufactures that they should work. But alas all of them get code 39
errors when installed . As we get closer to release date I keep looking
for
solutions but none seem to appear only more identical problems as I have
encountered anyone know if Microsoft is working on a solution for this
problem? Luckily I have another box running xp pro so i am still able to
burn
but as to installing anything new on the vista pc i am at a standstill
without functioning cd-roms. Please any response would be greatly
appreciated
Stuck in limbo