Another problem with CD/DVD driver

Old August 27th 07, 10:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Complete Novice

Default Another problem with CD/DVD driver

I too have a problem with my CD/DVD driver. Vista (Home Premium) will not
recognise that the drive exists except in a bit that I cannot remember how to
get to. I tried to install a photograph programme and when it installed I
took the CD out and that was the last time the CD driver worked, I can hear
it try to work but it doesn't. I tried to system restore, but this
wouldn't work at all and it turns out that Norton conflicts with it, so I
uninstalled Norton and tried again - this time there were no restore points
whatsoever - so that didn't work. I have subsequently loaded a trusted
antivirus programme. This Vista programme was a OEM(?) installed programme
so it was pre-installed by Acer, so I cannot have any help from MS (its only
6 weeks old) Acer won't answer their phones, and I had to wait one week to
get a response via their e support desk (I have the extended warranty), but
they signposted me to an XP site, despite being told it was vista.

I read the fixes that have already been posted, but they seem to be for
systems that have been upgraded to Vista rather than newly installed, and I
have to say it all seems gobbledegook to me, registry this and registry that!
Is there a novice friendly solution to this problem? Can anyone give me
an ABC guide that is in English rather that techo speak? With kind
regards T
Old August 27th 07, 03:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
vid

On Aug 27, 3:16 am, Complete Novice
wrote:
[...]

ditto for me....................Vid can anyone plze help

Old August 31st 07, 01:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mac

Try this,
This fixed for me...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

mac
Old October 25th 07, 01:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
photocharlie

Last week my CD/DVD stopped working just as listed above.

It was working great for 6 months and out of the blue it stopped playing.
You can see the Drive letter and the Tile of the CD or DVD but nothing starts.

I went out and bought a new DVD, installed and the samething happen.
Replaced the cables, unistalled and installed the drives...all the things
listed on the web site.

Still having probelms.

If anyone knows the fix please let me know.
Thanks
Charlie