2GB to 4GB, how much of an improvement?

Old September 17th 07, 06:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Grins

Default 2GB to 4GB, how much of an improvement?

Maybe this is too simple........ If your using Vista 32 Bit OS; only 3 GB is
available to the OS..... So my experience is 4GB wasted money.... but I
didn't know it until I installed the RAM........ Add a pair of 512MB cards to
a 2GB equiped computer and call it good........

"Alfred Kaufmann" wrote:

I am thinking of going to 4GB ram and I wonder if it is worth it? The
only reason I am thinking of doing it is to turn off virtual memory
and eliminate swapping on the hard drive.

Please let me know your experience if you have done this upgrade.

Al

Old September 19th 07, 11:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ed[_3_]

Last summer I built two new computers – just to use with the Vista Betas
(which were the Ultimate version). One has an Intel DualCore processor and an
Intel D945GPM motherboard; the other an AMD CPU with an ASUS A8N-SLI mb.
Both ran the Betas, at the end I even installed the Betas of Office 2007
successfully.

In the beginning, I used 2GB of RAM in each machine, then thought “if two is
good, four is better” and upgraded both machines to 4 GB. They worked. THEN
the Betas expired, so I got a copy of Vista Business from e-academy and tried
to install it on the AMD machine. ERROR ERROR ERROR . Deciphered, it said:
“You have too much memory”. So I pulled two sticks of memory, and MIRACLE,
it installed. So did Office 2007 and some other Microsoft programs. And they
all worked!

After the third ReadyBoost thumb drive quit working, I got the STUPID idea
of putting the two sticks of RAM back in the machine. Turned it on – FLASHING
LIGHT on the motherboard, and before I could pull the power cord, everything
QUIT. I don”t know if it is the power supply, the motherboard, the CPU, or
what. Guess I will replace them one at a time and see what happens.

Has anyone else had these problems?

--
Ed

Old September 21st 07, 10:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JonBoy

Hi Johnboy here i was just wondering i've got aPD Dual core processor and
1.5gb Ramn wld that be ok to run vista home premium. Write bk thanks

"JW" wrote:

The MOBO Bios may be coded not to show the option unless 4GB of memory is
installed.
The problem is you don't know unless you try upgrading to 4GB.
"Alfred Kaufmann" wrote in message
It is an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard and the documentation reads
that it supports up to 8GB of ram. I do have their lastest bios
installed but their is no such option of memory remapping. They
advertise the motherboard for Vista so maybe they will have a fix with
their next bios update.

Al

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 19:23:11 -0400, jabloomf1230
wrote:

What's your brand and model of MB? It's new enough (AM2) and it should
have that option. If not, there may be a BIOS update for your MB that
adds that option to the BIOS setup.

The main problem with going to 4MB is that some of the earlier versions
of nVidia Vista graphics drivers did not work properly with SOME
graphics cards and 4 GB of system RAM. Else, there shouldn't be a
problem with Vista x64.

Alfred Kaufmann wrote:
Thanks for the information everyone! I have Vista 64bit, an AM2
motherboard and an AMD X2 64 processor but I can't find this "memory
remap" option in my bios. Also from what I have been reading this
upgrade is best avoided. :-(

Al

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:26:20 -0700, "JW" wrote:

He will not need to use the page file until the programs/data required
to be
kept in memory use up all of the extra 2GB in his system.
Alfred,
If you are running Vista 32 you will probably only get the benefit of a
little over 1GB of the extra memory you add. See the following:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

.
"Richard Urban" wrote in message
Little to no improvement if you run "normal" applications.

You will still need the pagefile.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Old September 21st 07, 11:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tommiy[_13_]

sadly I've never been able to get 4G to work with vista x64 in a
gigabyte 965P-DS3 rev 3.3....just reboots all the time...gigabyte have
provided a beta bios this morning but does not help...

--
tommiy
Old September 27th 07, 07:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John_T

tommiy;459280 Wrote:
sadly I've never been able to get 4G to work with vista x64 in a
gigabyte 965P-DS3 rev 3.3....just reboots all the time...gigabyte have
provided a beta bios this morning but does not help...

I had 4GB working fine with Vista 64 in my 965-DQ6. I think it took
both MS update KB929777 and a CMOS reset.

I just installed a P35-DQ6 and am having difficulties getting Vista to
take the 4GB. It looks like all is fine until SideShow loads then it
goes to BSOD. I just got a KB933607 that might fix that, but haven't yet
tried again.

--
John_T

*vista ultimate 64-bit : c2 q6700 : ga-p35-dq6 : 4gb ram : 8800gtx : 2tb
hdd : 720w psu : 2x eizo cg241w*