AOL/BT ADSL Modem and AOL 9.0 errors!

Old September 26th 06, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
plumbjet

Default AOL/BT ADSL Modem and AOL 9.0 errors!

Hi All

Is it poss to use a bt router for a bt broadband connection would this get
round the usb modem problem, I would like to know if this would work as iam
about to install vista for the first time. Or is they a make or model router
that will do the job.

"Leon Jollans" wrote:

I have the AOL 9/BT Voyager combo. I have found two ways to get the modem
installed and working under Vista Beta 2 (5384)

1. install xp service pack 2 clean, and install the modem drivers ( not the
AOL client, just the modem drivers under CD:\Drivers\Voyager100\setup.exe,
then run an upgrade install of Vista from XP.

2. install vista, go to the setup.exe under Voyager100 on the cd as before,
right click the setup.exe and go to Properties. On the Compatibility tab,
tick the box "run this program in compatibility mode for" and select
"Windows 2000" from the drop down. When I've tried to install this natively
without the compatibility mode setting it just hangs on the ?Preparing for
installation" step. Anyway, with compatibility mode it will run just as in
XP, then take aaaages on the "installing" dialog. You need to wait until
it's about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through, you should have by then had the
popup from vista saying "Device installed successfully", then go into task
manager and kill the GsiInst.exe process. That's the setup program. Then
reboot and everything should be working fine. It seems that the setup tries
to do one final operation - cleanup probably, and hangs and times out. But
when it times out it rolls back the installation, unsuccessfully. Euch. So
don't let it time out, and bingo!

Hope one of these works for you, and don't install the AOL client! setup a
dial up connection (sounds weird, I know) to 0,38 and you have the net.

Leon

"Bladewing51" wrote in message
I have the AOL stand alone client over here in florida and have the same
problems with it, what it is, is that AOL has yet to release a version of
AOL
that suports the Vista platform and upon contacting them was told that we
will get it after or when vista is released later in 07 (GREAT WORK AOL!).

As for BT voyager I've never heard of that and plus I don't use DSL
because
I've heard some real horror storys, like this one, maybe think of
switching
over to cable broadband if you guys have it over there, 10MB/s can't be
beat
and I've never had to find a driver for my external cable modem.

As for the activation, I think that after the 15 days the system locks up,
probably with a screen that tells you to activate, I think you can do it
over
the phone though, I can't remember, maybe contact tech support on that
one.