Hard disk repair

Old August 29th 07, 12:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Alan T

Default Hard disk repair

I just bought the Seagate SATA 320 GB last month and recently my Ultimate
edition always prompt there is problem of my harddisk, need to back up.
Any tools can be used to dignose the problem?

Old August 29th 07, 02:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke

Alan T wrote:
I just bought the Seagate SATA 320 GB last month and recently my Ultimate
edition always prompt there is problem of my harddisk, need to back up.
Any tools can be used to dignose the problem?

Use Seagate's SeaTools. It probably came on a CD with your new drive but
if not, download the SeaTools Desktop utility from www.seagate.com. You
will make a bootable CD with the utility. In XP you need third-party
burning software; I don't know if this is the case in Vista but someone
else may have that answer for you.

In any case, boot with the SeaTools CD and do a thorough test of the
drive. If it fails any physical tests, contact Seagate for an RMA. Just
because a drive is new doesn't mean it can't fail; in fact, if hardware
is going to fail it will usually do so pretty quickly or go for years.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Old August 29th 07, 11:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke

Alan T wrote:
If I use the Sea Tools and the result is fail, can I replace the harddisk
base on the result?

Yes. Since this is a Seagate drive, I believe you will get an error code
which you can give to the Seagate tech support person. Your drive is
under warranty and Seagate is very good about honoring warranties. Even
if you don't get an error code, call Seagate with your tests results.

Malke
Old August 30th 07, 12:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Alan T

Hi,

Bad news.
I just downloaded the Sea Tools for Windows.
Tried to run the exe but got the error something like
'Installation prematurely terminated due to error'

So I cannot install the Sea Tools for Windows.
I'll try the Sea Tools for DOS to see if I can boot that up.

Old August 30th 07, 11:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke

Alan T wrote:
Hi,

Bad news.
I just downloaded the Sea Tools for Windows.
Tried to run the exe but got the error something like
'Installation prematurely terminated due to error'

So I cannot install the Sea Tools for Windows.
I'll try the Sea Tools for DOS to see if I can boot that up.

Alan, you are not reading what I wrote you and you are not reading the
instructions on the SeaTools webpage. For the last time: you create a
bootable CD with the utility you download. You need to do this with
third-party burning software, burning an image and not the file. Again,
I don't know if Vista's built-in burning software has the capability of
burning an .iso. If this is still confusing, take the machine to a
professional computer repair shop. This will not be your local version
of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad. Get recommendations from family, friends,
colleagues.

Malke
Old August 30th 07, 11:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Alan T

Hi Malke,

I tried to download the Sea Tools for Windows by anothe machine, it was
succeeded and installed on that machine and can run it. Although I have not
finished the test.
Why I need to burn it onto a CD.

I would say there must be something wrong with my Vista or HD.

Old August 31st 07, 12:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke

Alan T wrote:
Hi Malke,

I tried to download the Sea Tools for Windows by anothe machine, it was
succeeded and installed on that machine and can run it. Although I have not
finished the test.
Why I need to burn it onto a CD.

Because you need to create a bootable CD so you can boot the computer
with that CD. You do not run hard drive utilities from within an
operating system. I've already told you this and this is the third and
last time.

EOT for me.

Malke