Old August 14th 08, 02:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
goorambatman

Default Can't safely Eject External Hard Drive

When I go to safely eject my External hard drive I always get the following
error:

Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device

Windows can't stop your 'Generic volume' device because it is in use.
Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try
again later.

It is a ST332062 0A USB Device (Seagate NTFS) in a Xcraft Cooler Master case.

It doesn't have this problems on other people's computers. This computer
successfully ejects other external media.

The activity light doesn't flash when I am not browsing it so I don't think
any background software is using it.

Perhaps Windows needs enhancement in this area, like the ability to detect
and list what applications are accessing the hard drive and the ability to
force the drive to eject as I am going to un-plug it anyway.

My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, why can't I eject this drive ever?