What are Vista’s hardware sweet spots?

Old October 1st 06, 04:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
eidinger2000

Default What are Vista’s hardware sweet spots?

What are Vista’s hardware sweet spots? I mean, what the amount of RAM,
Processor speed, hard drive speed & video card to efficiently run a business,
enterprise or ultimate Version of Vista in a business environment without
breaking the bank? If not, do you know where I can find this information?
I have Microsoft's Hardware requirements, but I think Microsoft is doing
what it has done in the past. Telling us what will get the OS running OK, but
not what will get it to run best. Look that the hardware requirements for
Windows 2000 & XP and you’ll see what I mean.

--
Mark_E
Old October 1st 06, 08:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Mark;
A lot depends on your specific needs.
I have:
AMD 2400
NVIDIA FX 5500 256 MB AGP
1.5 GB RAM
This runs fine for me.
I also have Vista on Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop
1 GHz
512 MB RAM
This also runs fine although the integrated video does not have Aero, not a
problem for me.

If you want to do more than just run Vista, you need more than the minimum
or probably even recommended.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Old October 2nd 06, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Number6

In this same vein, does anyone know if the size or speed of a USB Flash Drive
matters when being used by ReadyBoost? That is, will a fast read/write speed
be fully utilized and will an 8 GB thumb drive mean that theoretical ram is
increased by that much? Normally I don't think it would be important, but I
am installed on a Core Duo Dell notebook with 1 GB of ram that I intend to
use for video editing and rendering, and I'm thinking extra ram would be
useful for rendering low compression video.

Old October 2nd 06, 07:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
WayneR

As for ReadyBoost: under beta 2, my Kingston 256MB was reported as not
having sufficient capacity, although RC1 accepts it and I'm using it now.
However, chuffed with success, I went out and bought a 'cheapy' Transcend
JetFlash 2GB and RC1 rejects it as not being fast enough.

Moral of the story: Speed is the thing. Grab the fastest USB drive you can
find, at least 256MB. I've got a SanDisk Cruzer Titanium 1GB coming...
supposedly one of the fastest.

By the way, ReadyBoost doesn't 'technically' increase your RAM. There are
people with far more expertise who could elaborate further. It adds extra
cache to your hard-drive, especially for the small, 'fiddly' files that the
OS needs at a nano-second's notice.

And it seems to work!

Old October 2nd 06, 01:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Essien

Default Windows Aero Experience

I have a HP Compaq NC6220 with the following configurations:

1GB RAM
Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
2.0 GHz Processor
80 GB HDD

I installed Windows Vista RC1 successfully but am not having the Windows
Aero experience. What video card or driver do I need to have to have the Aero
experience?

Thanks.
--
Disney

Old October 2nd 06, 02:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Number6

WayneR, Thanks! Exactly the kind of information I was needing. Have ordered a
Corsair 19MB read, 12 or 13 GB write, with a capacity of 8 GBs. Should be
recognized even in my beta 2, which I am still using due to the fact I
haven't received the email from MicroSoft telling me how to get the RC1.
Don't know if the RC1 would matter much at this point, since I am still in
the process of assembling my system to my expected needs. And since it is in
some ways cutting edge (SIIG PCIe single lane card out to a dual drive RAID 0
eSATA II) there are apparently many drivers that are not yet written to work
seamlessly with Vista.
My main concern is that I cannot view what is on my harddrive using Windows
Explorer, because doing so causes an automatic crash. I suppose that is my
next cry for help. Does anyone know why?

Old October 3rd 06, 03:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
eidinger2000

Thank you for your reply.

The need is for PC business, when we go to Vista it will be the Business or
Enterprise Versions. I’ve been asked to do research. The company I work for
is planning to set new standard for new PC and wants the new PC. We are a
strictly Dell shop.

--
Mark_E