Vista Banter

-   -   2 hard drives not recognized in RC1 5600 (http://www.vistabanter.com/7022-2-hard-drives-not-recognized-rc1-5600-a.html)

J6 October 2nd 06 03:43 AM

2 hard drives not recognized in RC1 5600

I'm using a dual-boot XP and RC1 5600 system. When I'm on XP all the physical
drives ARE recognized. When I'm on RC1 vista 2 physical drives ARE NOT
recognized. My thinking is that is because there are no vista drivers for the
IDE controller for those two drives. According to device manager, the
controller for those two unrecoginized drives is a "via bus master IDE
controller -0571". I have looked all over the net for drivers for that
controller and can't find any. Can anybody point me in the right direction on
where to find them?
--
J6

Gene Fitz October 2nd 06 05:17 AM

2 hard drives not recognized in RC1 5600

I am using 5600 on a notebook with 2 external hard drives, it sees all three
of my hard drives. Maybe there is an issue with the booting program you are
using.

John R. L. Bell November 1st 06 04:30 PM

2 hard drives not recognized in RC1 5600

I have attempted to install both the 64 bit and the 32 bit versions of VISTA
RC1 downloaded from Microsoft (can you actually download them from somewhere
else). Both downloaded ISO files passed the checksum test. Both boot fine
up until the point where the installation programs want me to select the hard
drive on which to install VISTA. There is no drive in the list. A scan of
both my motherboard CD and the windows VISTA installation disk does not
provide the asked for driver that enables VISTA to see my IDE hard drive. A
VISTA readiness scan when I was booted into Windows XP on this same computer
said that I didn't have to do anything to run VISTA on this system. It
reported that the IDE controller was a VIA Bus Master IDE Controller but gave
no model/make/version number. I called Mach Speed (motherboard manufacturer)
and they said it was a VIA problem. I looked on the VIA Arena and there
appeared to be no VIA Bus Master IDE Controller update for VISTA (or any
operating system for that matter).

I guess a person wants to be very careful if they buy a new computer for the
VISTA operating system. Apparently, if you have a VIA Bus Master IDE
Controller it won't work. Not yet, anyway.

Having said this, if anyone at all (hello VIA hint, hint, hint) can tell me
where to find updated VIA Bus Master IDE Controller drivers that will work
with VISTA I would appreciate the information.