Vista and W2K and NTFS?

Old September 3rd 07, 08:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
***** charles[_2_]

Default Vista and W2K and NTFS?

Hi all,

Can a Windows 2000 Pro with SP4 read an
NTFS file system that was created with Vista
Basic?

What can I do if W2K gives me the error
message

f:\documents and settings is not accessable.
Access is denied.
?

thanks,
charles....

Old September 4th 07, 01:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Charles

This is normal. The old Documents and Settings folder has been retired and
that location is now called %systemroot%\Users.

The Documents and Settings folder you are seeing is a Junction whose sole
purpose is to redirect legacy programs to the new \Users folder. This is why
you see the shortcut overlay on that folder. Junction points cannot be
opened and contain no data.

Here is a website that has a more detailed explanation of this as well as a
list of all the Junctions with the old locations and the new locations they
point to in Vista.

Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

et...

Old September 4th 07, 05:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
***** charles[_2_]

Hi Ronnie and thanks for the feedback.
I did get into the documents folder for the one user that was on the system.
I got 19 files from the documents folder on F to copy to my C drive.
I tried to go into a subfolder under documents and I got a "My Music is
not accessable. Access is denied." and it had zero bytes in size when I did
a properties on it. Does this mean that the contents are lost if there was
anything in that subfolder? I tried taking ownership of lots of directories
and that didn't seem to help. What's my next step?

thanks,
charles.....

Old September 4th 07, 07:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Charles

If you look at the link I posted about Junction points, you'll see that the
"My Music" folder is a junction, not a normal folder. You cannot move or
copy files to these junctions. You should get an access denied error if you
do try to copy files to a junction and this is what should happen.

You don't want to try and change permissions, take ownership or do anything
else to force a change with these junctions.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

. net...

Old September 5th 07, 07:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Hank Arnold (MVP)

Ronnie Vernon MVP wrote:
Charles

This is normal. The old Documents and Settings folder has been retired
and that location is now called %systemroot%\Users.

The Documents and Settings folder you are seeing is a Junction whose
sole purpose is to redirect legacy programs to the new \Users folder.
This is why you see the shortcut overlay on that folder. Junction points
cannot be opened and contain no data.

Here is a website that has a more detailed explanation of this as well
as a list of all the Junctions with the old locations and the new
locations they point to in Vista.

Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

Ronnie,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about those "folders".....

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Old September 5th 07, 03:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
***** charles[_2_]

Hey,

I have found the following to give me access denied
under the "F:\User\Fred\*.*" directory:

Application Data
Cookies
Local Settings
My Documents
NetHood
PrintHood
Recent
SentTo
Start Menu
Templates

Does this mean that all of the above subdirestories under
the user name are "junction points"? I am surprised at the
Start Menu one and wonder where that one went.

thanks,
charles....

Old September 5th 07, 08:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Charles

If you read the article that I posted the link to, you'll understand why you
are seeing those folders there. Any folder that has a 'shortcut' (arrow)
icon is a junction point. The article has a list of these juncctions, their
locations and the new location for those folders in Vista.

Here it is again.

Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP