Wrong USB Drivers

Old September 3rd 07, 06:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
awparran

Default Wrong USB Drivers

Hardware setup

Acer Aspire 9300-4272
1.5 G Memory
120 GB Harddrive
Wireless
17" display
Acer OrbiCam

Initially the camera was working fine.

Knowing that my Lexmark X75 would not work with VISTA, I installed Virtual
PC Machine 2007 and then tried to install my lexmark drivers.

Wrong!

The drivers installed in VISTA.

Now my camera does not work. The USB 2.0 drivers are using the Lexmark USB
drivers. When I try to change them, it refuses to accept anything different.

I have gone into SafeMode and tried to remove all itteratons of the Lexmark
driver, but I keep getting ACCESS DENIED.

I have gone into the COMMAND PROMPT, using administrator privileges and
using the commnad line ATTRIB prompt try to change the attributes. ACCESS
DENIED.

I have tried to run the PNPUTIL utility. It states this is not an OEM item.

I have deleted the Program Files\Lexmark Folder. It mysteriously keeps
reappearing.

Each time I ry to point the drivers to the correct ones, they go back to
Lexmark.

When I tried to use the Scanner/Cameras application in the Control Panel, it
shows a Lexmark. So I tell it I "HAVE DISK" and it still refuses to load the
drivers. I get an error that the drivers are not 32-bit compliant.

Now this is the kicker - I have a Microsoft XV6000 WebCam. It works!!! But
each time I plug the cable into a different USB port, it blows away the
drivers and I have to start all over again with the above mentioned until
everybody is happy even though the Acer OrbiCam still is not working, yet the
XV6000 is.

The Device Manager is happy too.

I am at a total loss as to what to do without destroying my whole system and
starting from scratch.

Anyone have any ideas?

I don't have any hair to pull out.

My added questions are - How do I delete every mention of lexmark in the
System32\DriverStore\FileRepository folder?

How do I remove each and every Lexmark *.DLL in the registry?

One upon a time, life was very simple.

I have searched Microsoft's Data base and support pages. It appears I have
stumbled on an unknown VISTA bug.

Tony