Bitlocker black screen after reboot

Old September 6th 07, 02:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
mister.jones

Default Bitlocker black screen after reboot

Hello!
I have a problem with Bitlocker: after the first restart (system check
before encryption) the screen stays black. No error message, no boot screen,
nothing.
This is what I did:
1. Allow Bitlocker without TPM (via gpedit.msc)
2. Use Bitlocker Drive Preparation Tool to create a new partition.
3. Use the Bitlocker control panel to configure encryption.
4. Reboot when reuired to do so for the system check.
Result: Black screen after BIOS POST screens. No message at all.
Ctrl-Alt-Del does work, nothing else.

The only way to repair was to boot from the Windows DVD and do a startup
repair.

My configuration is as follows:
- ABit AB9Pro board (latest BIOS) with the following onboard controllers:
. Intel ICH8R (2 RAID arrays containing boot-volume, 2 non-RAID disks)
. JMicron JMB363 in AHCI mode (1 HD SATA, 1 HD PATA, 1 CD-ROM PATA)
. Silicon Image 3132 (1 CD-ROM SATA)

Is there anything I am doing wrong here? Anyone got Bitlocker running with a
similar configuration?

Thanks,
mister.jones

Old September 6th 07, 09:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Jones,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on your symptom, I suspect this similar issue may be caused by the
incompatible BIOS or hardware environment. For more detailed requirements
for BitLocker, please refer to:
Windows Vista BitLocker Client Platform Requirements
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...0-8a0a-b183365
65f5b/BitLockerReq.doc

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security http://www.microsoft.com/security

--------------------

Old September 11th 07, 10:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Jones,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security http://www.microsoft.com/security

--------------------
| From: ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 09:20:08 GMT
| Subject: Bitlocker black screen after reboot
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
|
| Hello Jones,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| Based on your symptom, I suspect this similar issue may be caused by the
| incompatible BIOS or hardware environment. For more detailed requirements
| for BitLocker, please refer to:
| Windows Vista BitLocker Client Platform Requirements

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...0-8a0a-b183365
| 65f5b/BitLockerReq.doc
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
http://www.microsoft.com/security
| ================================================== ==
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ================================================== ==
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "mister.jones"
| | Subject: Bitlocker black screen after reboot
| | Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 04:22:57 +0200
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
| |
| | Hello!
| | I have a problem with Bitlocker: after the first restart (system check
| | before encryption) the screen stays black. No error message, no boot
| screen,
| | nothing.
| | This is what I did:
| | 1. Allow Bitlocker without TPM (via gpedit.msc)
| | 2. Use Bitlocker Drive Preparation Tool to create a new partition.
| | 3. Use the Bitlocker control panel to configure encryption.
| | 4. Reboot when reuired to do so for the system check.
| | Result: Black screen after BIOS POST screens. No message at all.
| | Ctrl-Alt-Del does work, nothing else.
| |
| | The only way to repair was to boot from the Windows DVD and do a
startup
| | repair.
| |
| | My configuration is as follows:
| | - ABit AB9Pro board (latest BIOS) with the following onboard
controllers:
| | . Intel ICH8R (2 RAID arrays containing boot-volume, 2 non-RAID disks)
| | . JMicron JMB363 in AHCI mode (1 HD SATA, 1 HD PATA, 1 CD-ROM PATA)
| | . Silicon Image 3132 (1 CD-ROM SATA)
| |
| | Is there anything I am doing wrong here? Anyone got Bitlocker running
| with a
| | similar configuration?
| |
| | Thanks,
| | mister.jones
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old September 13th 07, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
mister.jones

Thanks Ken, for coming back to this issue. I looked at the document on
Bitlocker you pointed me to. Most of it is about TPM requirements. However,
I want to run Bitlocker without TPM, which is possible when this feature is
activated in Group Policy.
I suppose rather that Bitlocker is not finding the right harddisk. Because
there are three controllers and six disks, I suppose the Bitlocker's
bootcode gets confused. What startles me is that it does not even give out
an error message.
Best regards
mister.jones

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

| Hello Jones,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| Based on your symptom, I suspect this similar issue may be caused by the
| incompatible BIOS or hardware environment. For more detailed
requirements
| for BitLocker, please refer to:
| Windows Vista BitLocker Client Platform Requirements

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...0-8a0a-b183365
| 65f5b/BitLockerReq.doc
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao

| |
| | Hello!
| | I have a problem with Bitlocker: after the first restart (system check
| | before encryption) the screen stays black. No error message, no boot
| screen,
| | nothing.
| | This is what I did:
| | 1. Allow Bitlocker without TPM (via gpedit.msc)
| | 2. Use Bitlocker Drive Preparation Tool to create a new partition.
| | 3. Use the Bitlocker control panel to configure encryption.
| | 4. Reboot when reuired to do so for the system check.
| | Result: Black screen after BIOS POST screens. No message at all.
| | Ctrl-Alt-Del does work, nothing else.
| |
| | The only way to repair was to boot from the Windows DVD and do a
startup
| | repair.
| |
| | My configuration is as follows:
| | - ABit AB9Pro board (latest BIOS) with the following onboard
controllers:
| | . Intel ICH8R (2 RAID arrays containing boot-volume, 2 non-RAID
disks)
| | . JMicron JMB363 in AHCI mode (1 HD SATA, 1 HD PATA, 1 CD-ROM PATA)
| | . Silicon Image 3132 (1 CD-ROM SATA)
| |
| | Is there anything I am doing wrong here? Anyone got Bitlocker running
| with a
| | similar configuration?
| |
| | Thanks,
| | mister.jones
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old September 14th 07, 08:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Yes, I agree with your opinion.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security http://www.microsoft.com/security

--------------------
| From: "mister.jones"

| Subject: Bitlocker black screen after reboot
| Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:35:02 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
|
| Thanks Ken, for coming back to this issue. I looked at the document on
| Bitlocker you pointed me to. Most of it is about TPM requirements.
However,
| I want to run Bitlocker without TPM, which is possible when this feature
is
| activated in Group Policy.
| I suppose rather that Bitlocker is not finding the right harddisk.
Because
| there are three controllers and six disks, I suppose the Bitlocker's
| bootcode gets confused. What startles me is that it does not even give
out
| an error message.
| Best regards
| mister.jones

| |
| | Hello Jones,
| |
| | Thank you for using newsgroup!
| |
| | Based on your symptom, I suspect this similar issue may be caused by
the
| | incompatible BIOS or hardware environment. For more detailed
| requirements
| | for BitLocker, please refer to:
| | Windows Vista BitLocker Client Platform Requirements
| |

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...0-8a0a-b183365
| | 65f5b/BitLockerReq.doc
| |
| | Thanks & Regards,
| |
| | Ken Zhao
| |
| | |
| | | Hello!
| | | I have a problem with Bitlocker: after the first restart (system
check
| | | before encryption) the screen stays black. No error message, no boot
| | screen,
| | | nothing.
| | | This is what I did:
| | | 1. Allow Bitlocker without TPM (via gpedit.msc)
| | | 2. Use Bitlocker Drive Preparation Tool to create a new partition.
| | | 3. Use the Bitlocker control panel to configure encryption.
| | | 4. Reboot when reuired to do so for the system check.
| | | Result: Black screen after BIOS POST screens. No message at all.
| | | Ctrl-Alt-Del does work, nothing else.
| | |
| | | The only way to repair was to boot from the Windows DVD and do a
| startup
| | | repair.
| | |
| | | My configuration is as follows:
| | | - ABit AB9Pro board (latest BIOS) with the following onboard
| controllers:
| | | . Intel ICH8R (2 RAID arrays containing boot-volume, 2 non-RAID
| disks)
| | | . JMicron JMB363 in AHCI mode (1 HD SATA, 1 HD PATA, 1 CD-ROM
PATA)
| | | . Silicon Image 3132 (1 CD-ROM SATA)
| | |
| | | Is there anything I am doing wrong here? Anyone got Bitlocker
running
| | with a
| | | similar configuration?
| | |
| | | Thanks,
| | | mister.jones
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |

Old September 14th 07, 09:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
mister.jones

I heard, there will be changes to Bitlocker in SP1. Will these be only in
the GUI or will the boot-code change, too, so that there is hope that it
will work with my hardware?

""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Yes, I agree with your opinion.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

http://www.microsoft.com/security
rights.

--------------------
| From: "mister.jones"

| Subject: Bitlocker black screen after reboot
| Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:35:02 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
|
| Thanks Ken, for coming back to this issue. I looked at the document on
| Bitlocker you pointed me to. Most of it is about TPM requirements.
However,
| I want to run Bitlocker without TPM, which is possible when this feature
is
| activated in Group Policy.
| I suppose rather that Bitlocker is not finding the right harddisk.
Because
| there are three controllers and six disks, I suppose the Bitlocker's
| bootcode gets confused. What startles me is that it does not even give
out
| an error message.
| Best regards
| mister.jones

| |
| | Hello Jones,
| |
| | Thank you for using newsgroup!
| |
| | Based on your symptom, I suspect this similar issue may be caused by
the
| | incompatible BIOS or hardware environment. For more detailed
| requirements
| | for BitLocker, please refer to:
| | Windows Vista BitLocker Client Platform Requirements
| |

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...0-8a0a-b183365
| | 65f5b/BitLockerReq.doc
| |
| | Thanks & Regards,
| |
| | Ken Zhao
| |
| | |
| | | Hello!
| | | I have a problem with Bitlocker: after the first restart (system
check
| | | before encryption) the screen stays black. No error message, no
boot
| | screen,
| | | nothing.
| | | This is what I did:
| | | 1. Allow Bitlocker without TPM (via gpedit.msc)
| | | 2. Use Bitlocker Drive Preparation Tool to create a new partition.
| | | 3. Use the Bitlocker control panel to configure encryption.
| | | 4. Reboot when reuired to do so for the system check.
| | | Result: Black screen after BIOS POST screens. No message at all.
| | | Ctrl-Alt-Del does work, nothing else.
| | |
| | | The only way to repair was to boot from the Windows DVD and do a
| startup
| | | repair.
| | |
| | | My configuration is as follows:
| | | - ABit AB9Pro board (latest BIOS) with the following onboard
| controllers:
| | | . Intel ICH8R (2 RAID arrays containing boot-volume, 2 non-RAID
| disks)
| | | . JMicron JMB363 in AHCI mode (1 HD SATA, 1 HD PATA, 1 CD-ROM
PATA)
| | | . Silicon Image 3132 (1 CD-ROM SATA)
| | |
| | | Is there anything I am doing wrong here? Anyone got Bitlocker
running
| | with a
| | | similar configuration?
| | |
| | | Thanks,
| | | mister.jones
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |

Old September 17th 07, 06:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ken Zhao [MSFT]

I have not heard that. Therefore, I cannot make sure.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security http://www.microsoft.com/security

--------------------
| From: "mister.jones"

| Subject: Bitlocker black screen after reboot
| Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:55:18 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
|
| I heard, there will be changes to Bitlocker in SP1. Will these be only in
| the GUI or will the boot-code change, too, so that there is hope that it
| will work with my hardware?
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| Yes, I agree with your opinion.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| http://www.microsoft.com/security
| ================================================== ==
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ================================================== ==
| rights.
|

| --------------------
| | From: "mister.jones"

| | Subject: Bitlocker black screen after reboot
| | Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:35:02 +0200
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
| |
| | Thanks Ken, for coming back to this issue. I looked at the document on
| | Bitlocker you pointed me to. Most of it is about TPM requirements.
| However,
| | I want to run Bitlocker without TPM, which is possible when this
feature
| is
| | activated in Group Policy.
| | I suppose rather that Bitlocker is not finding the right harddisk.
| Because
| | there are three controllers and six disks, I suppose the Bitlocker's
| | bootcode gets confused. What startles me is that it does not even give
| out
| | an error message.
| | Best regards
| | mister.jones
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any
| updates
| | or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to
let
| me
| | know.
| |
| | Thanks & Regards,
| |
| | Ken Zhao
| | |
| | | Hello Jones,
| | |
| | | Thank you for using newsgroup!
| | |
| | | Based on your symptom, I suspect this similar issue may be caused
by
| the
| | | incompatible BIOS or hardware environment. For more detailed
| | requirements
| | | for BitLocker, please refer to:
| | | Windows Vista BitLocker Client Platform Requirements
| | |
| |

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...0-8a0a-b183365
| | | 65f5b/BitLockerReq.doc
| | |
| | | Thanks & Regards,
| | |
| | | Ken Zhao
| | |
| | | |
| check
| boot
| | | screen,
| | | |
| | startup
| | | |
| | controllers:
| | disks)
| PATA)
| | | |
| running
| | | with a
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |

Old September 19th 07, 10:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi,

If you have any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security http://www.microsoft.com/security

--------------------

| From: ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 06:27:14 GMT
| Subject: Bitlocker black screen after reboot
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
|
| I have not heard that. Therefore, I cannot make sure.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! -
www.microsoft.com/security
http://www.microsoft.com/security
| ================================================== ==
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ================================================== ==
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "mister.jones"

| | Subject: Bitlocker black screen after reboot
| | Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:55:18 +0200
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
| |
| | I heard, there will be changes to Bitlocker in SP1. Will these be only
in
| | the GUI or will the boot-code change, too, so that there is hope that
it
| | will work with my hardware?
| |
| |
| |
| | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag
| | Yes, I agree with your opinion.
| |
| | Thanks & Regards,
| |
| | Ken Zhao
| |
| | Microsoft Online Support
| | Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| |
| | Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| | http://www.microsoft.com/security
| | ================================================== ==
| | When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| | that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | ================================================== ==
| | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| | rights.
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | --------------------
| | | From: "mister.jones"
| | | Subject: Bitlocker black screen after reboot
| | | Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:35:02 +0200
| | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
| | |
| | | Thanks Ken, for coming back to this issue. I looked at the document
on
| | | Bitlocker you pointed me to. Most of it is about TPM requirements.
| | However,
| | | I want to run Bitlocker without TPM, which is possible when this
| feature
| | is
| | | activated in Group Policy.
| | | I suppose rather that Bitlocker is not finding the right harddisk.
| | Because
| | | there are three controllers and six disks, I suppose the Bitlocker's
| | | bootcode gets confused. What startles me is that it does not even
give
| | out
| | | an error message.
| | | Best regards
| | | mister.jones
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any
| | updates
| | | or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to
| let
| | me
| | | know.
| | |