2 GB sd card problem

Old September 9th 07, 08:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Greg

Default 2 GB sd card problem

I have noticed several others with this same problem, but there doesnt seem
to be a well defined solution that I have found yet.

Here is my problem: I have a 2GB sd card (San Disk). The card works fine
in my Palm TX as well as on Windows XP machines and shows up as having 2GB of
storage. However, the card does not show up when I try to use it with my
Laptop which runs Vista Home Premium. When I go to select the card, it says
that it needs to be formatted. When I go ahead and format it, only 969MB of
space is remaining. After it formats, it works like it should, only with
half the storage capacity.

I can format it back to 2 GB in my Palm TX, but then I'm back at square one.

Has anyone found a solution for this problem? I just want to use my 2GB
card with my laptop.

This is driving me crazy. Hence I have tried many ways to fix this:
1. The Panasonic sd card formatter
2. The toshiba sd card formatter
3. Downloading the sd hotfix from microsoft KB936825
4. Numerous other attempts

Nothing works and the card will not work without formatting it down to
969mb.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices
Old September 9th 07, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

If you formatted it with NTFS instead of Fat32 then that is the cause of
your problem since NTFS in order to support larger HDDs uses bigger data and
index blocks and is therefore not at all appropriate for use on a 2GB drive.

Old September 9th 07, 11:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Greg

On the format Disk screen (before formatting) it says under capacity: 969 MB.
When I change to FAT32 it doesnt change the capacity in that window. Ive
tried both formats, but no matter what I do, it formats it to 969 MB.

You said that you use 2 GB sd cards with your computer...I have some
questions for you:
What type of card reader do you use? and
Which version of Vista do you use?

I use a Lexar card reader which worked fine on my old laptop (vista home
basic) and my desktop (XP).

Could it be an issue with the card reader?

Old September 10th 07, 12:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

I am running Vista Home premium on both systems.
The card slot is built into my laptop. I made a mistake before my desktop
uses a 2GB flash drive plugged directly into the computer. Both units are
San Disk units.
I formatted both using Vista itself with a full Fat32 format.

If you are using a USB card reader check the following link one of the fixes
may apply:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b936003

news

"Greg" wrote in message
[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then

Old September 10th 07, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Greg

None of those updates fixed the issue im having. I tried contacting hp,
since my laptop is a compaq, they didnt know anything. I downloaded some
update from compaq, but the problem remains. I also tried contacting
sandisk, they didnt know anything but said it may an issue with the card
reader. I checked lexar's website, since I use a lexar card reader, and it
said there are no drivers needed for vista.

I think I may have narrowed the problem down to the card reader since that
seems to be the only difference between you and I: you are using a built in
card reader and I am using and external one. everything else is the same:
sandisk 2 gb card and vista home premium edition.

Do you know anyone else who uses and external card reader with a 2 gb sd
card successfully on Vista home premium?

"JW" wrote:

I am running Vista Home premium on both systems.
The card slot is built into my laptop. I made a mistake before my desktop
uses a 2GB flash drive plugged directly into the computer. Both units are
San Disk units.
I formatted both using Vista itself with a full Fat32 format.

If you are using a USB card reader check the following link one of the fixes
may apply:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b936003

news

Old September 10th 07, 05:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

My 8 months old HP laptop has a flash card slot on the left side right by
the front of the case. Check your Compaq might have the same.
news

"JW" wrote:

I am running Vista Home premium on both systems.
The card slot is built into my laptop. I made a mistake before my desktop
uses a 2GB flash drive plugged directly into the computer. Both units are
San Disk units.
I formatted both using Vista itself with a full Fat32 format.

If you are using a USB card reader check the following link one of the
fixes
may apply:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b936003

news

"Greg" wrote in message
[...]

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the
"I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow

Old September 10th 07, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Greg

I wish it did but mine doesn't

"JW" wrote:

My 8 months old HP laptop has a flash card slot on the left side right by
the front of the case. Check your Compaq might have the same.
news

"JW" wrote:

I am running Vista Home premium on both systems.
The card slot is built into my laptop. I made a mistake before my desktop
uses a 2GB flash drive plugged directly into the computer. Both units are
San Disk units.
I formatted both using Vista itself with a full Fat32 format.

If you are using a USB card reader check the following link one of the
fixes
may apply:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b936003

news On the format Disk screen (before formatting) it says under capacity:

Old December 20th 07, 06:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
lmuncy316

I am having just about the same problems everyone else on here is having. I
have a 2 GB SD memory card that I cannot get formatted on my laptop. Did a
scan for possible drivers, and was informed I was already using the
recommended driver (built in Microsoft). Tried doing whatever one else and
here tried doing, but also made sure that there was an existing pathway from
my computer to my F drive. There was not. So, I established an existing
pathway and thought it would work. Every time I've tried to format the
memory card it keeps saying that windows was unable to complete the
formatting process. I've tried everything mentioned on this thread, and it
has not worked? Now what?
--
Find me on myspace.com/larrymuncy

"JW" wrote:

My 8 months old HP laptop has a flash card slot on the left side right by
the front of the case. Check your Compaq might have the same.
news

Old December 31st 07, 10:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Thomas

Reference Microsoft Article KB939772. I'm running VISTA Ultimate and this
fix resolve my SD read problems.

Old February 20th 08, 05:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

Same problem here. Only, I'm running Windows XP Pro on HP Pavilion
dv4000 with the built in card reader. No probs with numerous other
cards. JUST bought this Sandisk 2 gb SD card at Walgreens for $20. I
thought it was a steal, but now second guessing.
I have done everything mentioned here, as well.
I tried recovery program and it wasn't even readable as a logical
drive OR a physical drive.
Bummer. Help if you can. Hopefully I can find the package and take it
back for a working GENERIC 1gb SD!

Thanks,
musicnoter

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...us/default...- Hide quoted text -