Vista Banter

-   -   200 Gb Firewire Hard Drive only showing 127 Gb (http://www.vistabanter.com/71236-200-gb-firewire-hard-drive-only-showing-127-gb.html)

Rico September 10th 07 02:36 AM

200 Gb Firewire Hard Drive only showing 127 Gb

So here is the issue. I have a Seagate HD and Windows Vista Premium. I
wanted to reformat it is a 200Gb drive. When I formatted it I lost some of
it's size. It is formatted and it is only showing 127 Gb and seems to work
but I lost over a quarter of the drive space. Anybody have any indes? I
even tried a USB enclosure same problem.

Richard Urban September 10th 07 03:20 AM

200 Gb Firewire Hard Drive only showing 127 Gb

You formatted the drive in fat32 format using Windows XP. This is limited to
roughly 130 gig maximum size. You can format fat32 to larger sizes by using
3rd party tools. What you should really do is format the drive with to the
NTFS standard, which all current Windows operating systems understand.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Juarez September 10th 07 10:01 PM

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 23:20:56 -0400, Richard Urban wrote:

You formatted the drive in fat32 format using Windows XP. This is limited to
roughly 130 gig maximum size. You can format fat32 to larger sizes by using
3rd party tools. What you should really do is format the drive with to the
NTFS standard, which all current Windows operating systems understand.

Or format two FAT32 partitions instead of just one.

amarillo November 25th 07 03:00 AM

200 Gb Firewire Hard Drive only showing 127 Gb

so what if it was formatted in NTFS and still only shows 127 gb? NTSF
shows up as the default. I have a 300gb Seagate and didnt want to
partition it. When i got it, it only showed up as 127gb. i formatted and
got nothing. I went to computer management and was able to partition, i
have full use, but dont want the partitions. any suggestions? im running
vista home premium 32bit.

--
amarillo