Vista Banter

-   -   Vista 64-bit 4GB and ATI X1950 (http://www.vistabanter.com/71710-vista-64-bit-4gb-ati-x1950.html)

SuperSenshi100 September 12th 07 02:44 AM

Vista 64-bit 4GB and ATI X1950

I don't know why this happens, I've exhausted Microsoft and ATi trying to
find a reason. When I use 4 GB of RAM in Vista 64-bit and install ANY
Catalyst driver for my X1950GT PCIe video card, I get random grey bars on my
screen using Aero (basic is just fine though), and when I use any kind of 3D
application it works for a few seconds and then freezes entirely. If I
remove one stick of RAM leaving 2GB the problem is eliminated. The later the
release of the Catalyst driver, the longer it works before it freezes. Here
are complete system specs:

ASUS M2A-MVP Crossfire-ready Motherboard (ATI SB600)
AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 2.8GHz dual-core CPU
4GB (2x2GB) G.SKILL DDR2 800
ATi X1950GT 512MB PCIe Graphics
500GB WD Caviar SE16 7200RPM SATA HDD
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition
(Currently running 32-bit due to the problem at hand)

Spirit September 12th 07 04:24 AM

Vista 64-bit 4GB and ATI X1950

I suspect that the ATI is mapping itself into a memory area which is on
conflict
with Windows use. The 64 bit Vista can use all 4 gig and somehow the
ATI is not mapping itself in properly when you have 4 gig in play. This
could be the motherboard or the ATI card. Unless you try another identical
card it will be hard to prove fault.

SuperSenshi100 September 12th 07 04:32 AM

Vista 64-bit 4GB and ATI X1950

Would it be worthwhile to get a different card in hopes of alleviating the
situation entirely? I was looking at upgrading to an 8800GTS/GTX anyway.

Would it be a definite hardware defect issue and not just a compatibilty
problem?

Spirit September 12th 07 04:38 AM

Vista 64-bit 4GB and ATI X1950

Best way to trouble shoot is with another of the same card, however if
another
brand of card solves the problem that works too.... issue could be video
card
alone, motherboard alone, BIOS (also MB) or a combination there of.....

JW September 12th 07 01:20 PM

Vista 64-bit 4GB and ATI X1950

Is your MOBO Bios up to date and does your Vista64 acknowledge 4GB when you
have it all installed?

Also see the following KB link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

SuperSenshi100 September 13th 07 12:52 AM

Vista 64-bit 4GB and ATI X1950

I'm using the latest stable BIOS. There's a beta but I'm not sure if adding
in more instability to a system that doesn't work already is a good idea :S
Yes, Vista64 sees all 4GB when there are 4GB to be seen.

AdmiralHackbar October 4th 07 07:07 AM

Vista 64-bit 4GB and ATI X1950

I'm having very similar graphical and crash issues with an Athlon 62 X2
5000+, a Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2 mobo, 4GB RAM, X1950Pro under Vista 64 bit.
crash/freeze isn't limited to games though they certainly are the main cause.
Dropping to 2 or 3 GB RAM fixes things. What's the latest Catalyst you;ve
tried? I'm about to try 7.9 and see if it fixes things.

VitoDonCorleone June 17th 09 04:28 PM

Vista 64-bit 4GB and ATI X1950

Hi,
my problem has gone. Today I contacted Asrock Support and asked if they
know the problem and if a BIOS update could help.
They sent me the newest BIOS version 3.21A in a special version. My
BIOS boots normally and is showing 3.328 MB RAM (4GB installed) in
DualChannel-Mode.
After logging in to Vista the system shows normally 4GB. It seems not
to be a mainboard problem. Asrock support wrote that the chipset on this
board has problems with 4GB RAM. After installing the new BIOS all
really works fine!

Hope this could help others too.

Greetings from Austria,

Thomas :D

--
VitoDonCorleone

shellp[_2_] June 18th 09 12:01 AM

Vista 64-bit 4GB and ATI X1950

Would it be possible 4 U to give a link to the site or BIO Update? I have a
64 bit HP m9500z CTO desktop that this may be a solution that HP has not
known about.
--
shellp (tecno newbie)