Laptop Touchpad

Old October 9th 06, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve

Default Laptop Touchpad

I just installed RC1 and the installation went very well. One small item
that is creating a major headache. The RC1 does not support the driver for
my HP laptops touchpad. The touchpad is working but is installed as a PS2
mouse therefore all of the extended funcunality if the touchpad does not
work...such as scrolling. I have searched for a driver from ALPS and have
been unsucessful. Does anyone have any suggextions to find a Vista driver
that would return full functunality of my touchpad.

On another note...what happened to the toolbar that is similar to the mac
with the icons that grow when you pass over them with a mouse. I thought I
had read previously that Vista was to incorporate this into the new OS?
Old October 10th 06, 04:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gene Fitz

Your touchpad is a synaptics PS2 touchpad device. It will show up as a PS2
device. There is no updated driver for it yet. I wish I could give you better
news. My laptop has one as well. I upgraded to touchpad "off" and added a
Microsoft Wireless Notebook mouse instead.
Synaptics site has nothing about Vista nor have they put any Vista
Compatible drivers out. The driver for the touchpad off your "Driver Recovery
Disk" will work, if you start by going to the device manager and choosing the
"update driver" option. It will load the driver.
Warning

It will load the driver, but you will still be notified of a compatibility
issue. Note: it may cause the driver to crash as well. I tried it with mine,
but I didn't like the result, so I restored from a backup. So if you choose
to try to install the driver, do so at your own risk. Now, you can choose
what you want to do, or what you can live with. That's all you. I am just
giving you what I have learned so far.