2 Hard drives

Old September 14th 07, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bill

Default 2 Hard drives

I have a new CQ desktop SR5113WM with Vista. I instaled my old XP hard drive
WD400BB, it shows up in the Device manager but it has no letter and dosen't
show in Coumpter. I wanted to get old files from it. Would like help.

Thanks!
Bill
Old September 14th 07, 08:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

What does it show in Control Panel (Classic view) Computer Management Disk
Management?

You may have to assign a drive letter and take ownership on the Security tab of
it's Properties.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old September 14th 07, 08:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bill

"Bill" wrote in message
I have a new CQ desktop SR5113WM with Vista. I instaled my old XP hard drive
WD400BB, it shows up in the Device manager but it has no letter and dosen't
show in Coumpter. I wanted to get old files from it. Would like help.

Thanks!
Bill

File system Blank

Status (active, primary partition)
Capacity 37.27 GB
% Free 100%
Fault tolerance No
Overhead 0%

Disk 0
Basic
37.27 GB
Online

Old September 14th 07, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

When you right click on the drive, select Properties, Security tab, Edit button,
can you take ownership and give your account full permissions for the drive?

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old September 14th 07, 10:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bill

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

When you right click on the drive, select Properties, Security tab, Edit button,
can you take ownership and give your account full permissions for the drive?

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

It dosen't show in Coumpter so no way to slect Properties.

Bill

It dosen't show in Coumpter so no way

There is no security tab

Old September 14th 07, 10:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

In Disk Management

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old September 14th 07, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bill

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

In Disk Management

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Under Properties in Disk Management:
General/Policies/Volumes/Driver/Details No Security

Bill

Old September 14th 07, 10:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Right click on the drive itself--to the right of where it says: Disk 0

Basic

37.27 GB

Online

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Bill" wrote in message

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

In Disk Management

Old September 15th 07, 12:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bill

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

Right click on the drive itself--to the right of where it says: Disk 0

Basic

37.27 GB

Online

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

I did both drives have the same thing. this Vista.

Bill

"Bill" wrote in message

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

In Disk Management

Old September 17th 07, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, Bill.

In Disk Management, open the Help file and search for "foreign" and look at
"Move Disks to Another Computer". On that page, you should find
instructions, including this paragraph:

Detect new disks

On the new computer, open Disk Management. Click Action and then click
Rescan Disks. Right-click any disk marked Foreign, click Import Foreign
Disks, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

If you get hung up anywhere, post back with exactly what you did and exactly
what results you saw. ("Tried it; didn't work" doesn't help us help you at
all.) Actually, I liked the Help file in WinXP's Disk Management better;
the new one puts too much emphasis on dynamic disks, which I'm not really
"into" yet, so I have to "read around" a lot of extra verbiage.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)