Old September 30th 08, 07:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
barman58

Default vista memory upgrade

Hello Bandahanson,

As suggested try the following. trying the laptop after each step,
assuming the upgrade kit is Two sticks of memory

Remove the new memory and re-fit the original,

Remove original and fit one of the new sticks

Remove this stick and fit the other,

If the system will boot with the original but not with either of the
new sticks then that would suggest that the new memory is not compatible
with your system

If it will only boot with the original memory or One of the new sticks
then that would suggest that the other of the new sticks is faulty
although the memory is compatible.

If the system will boot with any one of the sticks (old, or either new)
then this would suggest to me that there is something wrong with the
"Dual Channel" setting in the Bios (this is normally an automatic
setting, but the bios on HP systems is often custom)

If you get the system to boot at any time with the new memory if you
press F8 (bit hit and miss so switch on and tap until it's actioned) it
will take you into the boot menu which includes a Memtest option.

this procedure may take a littke time to perform but should give a
definative answer,

Hope this helps

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert