Old September 30th 08, 09:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL

Default Windows FAX & Scan and Canon MP780

Does Cannon support not have Vista compatible updated software/drivers?

"PvdG42" wrote in message
I have an MP780 attached directly to my Vista Ultimate box and I'm trying
to get the FAX function going as the FAX software that came with the 780 is
not Vista-compatible. I have full scan, copy and print functionality, and
it appears that Vista recognizes the 780 FAX functionality because I was
able to add "Canon MP780 FAX" as a device in Control Panel-Printers. It
shows as ready.

OTOH, Windows FAX and Scan appears not to see the 780 FAX as either a
local (which I think would be correct as the 780 is physically connected
to the box via USB and also connected to a phone jack) or a network FAX
device. If I connect the 780 to an XP box, using the Canon-supplied
software, I have no issues sending FAXes.

So, what am I missing here? Seems odd that Vista can see it, but the FAX &
Scan applet cannot.

Any insights or advice gratefully welcomed, except suggestions that I
switch to Linux, downgrade to XP or buy a new multi-function device.
Why? 'Cause I'm a cheapskate and the 780 performance is great and the
non-chip ink cartridges are cheap compared to the newer ones. All
printing, photo work, copying and scanning is fine. I'm gonna use it until
it falls apart :-)

TIA!